As you assuredly know (unless you’ve been living under a rock somewhere) this year is a Summer Olympic one. And with the first games in London having been played (congratulations Japan!) and the Opening Ceremony soon to follow, sports fans worldwide are turning their attention away from their other options and toward the international quadrennial spectacle in London. Unable to attend, but want to follow? There’s an app for that.
The official Olympic app (free in App World) has a huge amount of features, most of which can be utilized from wherever you are. Though it looks like it’s really designed for people attending the games (I keep being told I’m 99+ miles from the action) most of the app is also useful to those who are following from a distance. In that vein, I should point out that when times are listed, my local time as well as London time are both given.
Some key features include:
- What’s on: full and up-to-date event listings for thousands of exciting activities, including free events, London 2012 Festival cultural events and big screens (Live Sites), across London and the UK – find out what’s happening near you, on an hour-by-hour basis.
- Torch today: view the Olympic Torch Relay with street-level routes for 1000+ communities over 70 days, and details of Torchbearers. View the current Torch position in real time using the Torch Tracker function.
- Paralympic Torch Relay: find out about the Flame Festivals taking place across the UK in August.
- Spectator guide: get searchable maps, details of facilities and information about how to get the best out of your historic day out.
- Road events: find out about free medal events such as the Marathon and Road Cycling Race.
- Jump to: interactive, searchable maps of the Olympic and Paralympic Torch Relays, the UK, London and the Olympic Park.
- Detail maps: access and seating maps for the Olympic Park and 20+ venues.
- Live updates: news, photos and social commentary from the Games.
- My Games: create a personal schedule creation to help you plan your Olympic and Paralympic experience.
- Facebook, Twitter and BBM integration: tweet, upload photos, post to your wall, check-in and let your friends know what you’re doing.