My favorite BlackBerry file manager, FileScout, just got a nice update to v126.96.36.199. This new update brings new goodies but mostly improves the ZIP (Aka file archive) handling features of the app. EmacBerry has rewritten the zip file handling code which has led to some nice benefits like removing the limitation on file sizes of zip archives. The only remaining limitation is that it does not read password protected ZIP files.
Here is a change log for v188.8.131.52:
- FileScout & FileScoutLite ZIP-file handing have been re-written
- With the new v184.108.40.206 build there should be no limitation concerning the file size of ZIP-Archives that you could browse or de-compress with FileScout (or FileScoutLite).
- When you unzip a large (e.g. 100MB+) archive, please have in mind that you still hold a mobile device in your hands (and not a PC or Mac equipped with a SSD). Most of the time that is required (to process an ZIP-Archive) will be needed for the actual reading (of the compressed stream) and the writing (of the de-compressed data).
- The new build will also report almost instantly, if an archive can’t be read by the application (probably cause it is corrupted/broken).
- Please note that even if most of the ZIP code have been rewritten FileScout is still not able to read password protected archives – sorry.