It seems like Verizon beat RIM to launching a recovery service for BlackBerrys. RIM has hyped up BlackBerry Protect nicely yet we are still waiting for it to launch.Now Verizon has launched a new Mobile Recovery service of their own today. The catch is that it is a free addon for customers paying for the Total Equipment Coverage plan for their BlackBerry or other smartphone.
The service features include:
- Sound an alarm from a misplaced phone, even if it’s set to silent
- Locate a lost phone on a map, with turn-by-turn directions
- Lock a lost or stolen phone to ensure your privacy
- Remotely erase contacts from a lost or stolen phone
- Available at no added cost with Verizon Wireless Total Equipment Coverage
As you can obviously see these features are not as impressive as BlackBerry Protect which includes backup of the device. I think this service will more or less become irrelevant once RIM introduces BlackBerry Protect but if you are a customer and have a TEC plan just visit www.MyMobileRecovery.com to download the app.
NOTE: It seems like this service is actually run by Asurion which is why you need to have TEC plan insurance on the device. Quite a few other carriers use Asurion so I wonder if they will also be getting the service.