A bit back I had a friend of mine ask me about a problem he had when buying a ringtone from AT&T’s MEdia Net store. I told him that his first problem was paying for a ringtone but that is besides the point. While trolling the RIM Knowledgebase today and ran into a work around RIM has provided for the issue.
The problem stems from the fact that by default the WAP Browser is set to the Shop Applications service which does not work with ringtones. The idiocy of this screwup by AT&T is ironic. The funny part is that this should be an easy fix since the MEdia Net application is pushed to the device OTA by AT&T.
For now RIM has posted the following work around
Change the Default WAP browser configuration to MEdia Net Browser, by completing the following steps:
- On the Home screen, go to Settings > Options > Advanced Options > Browser.
- Highlight the Default WAP browser configuration field.
- Display the menu and select MEdia Net.
- Display the menu and select Save.
- Open the MMS message containing the ring tone access information and click Load. The MEdia Net service will be used for loading future ring tones.