BlackBerry 10 and legacy OS 5.0+ BlackBerrys just got an update to BBM in BlackBerry World. This is coming with the introduction of BBM Channels out of Beta as we told you earlier today. This update is not bringing anything radically new that was not in the Beta Zone but rather just exposing channels to all. Check out the update of BBM here (it should update within the next 24 hours for all) and do not forget to join the BerryReview BBM Channel at PIN:C0009A126.
Here is a description of the update:
BBM Channels beta for BlackBerry smartphones
Subscribing to a BBM Channel lets you join conversations with others who share your interests.
- Stop broadcasting. Start interacting. BBM Channels let you post messages, share pictures, spark discussions, and chat directly with channel owners or other channel followers.
- Don’t just spectate, participate. Agree, disagree, debate; when you want to get in on a conversation, you can comment on a post or reply to someone else’s comment to keep the discussion going. By re-posting to your own Channel you can share info you’ve found on other Channels that you subscribe to.
- Open, yet private. Channels lets you interact with channel owners and other channel followers without ever giving out personal details, or even having to add them to your BBM contact list.
By creating a BBM Channel, you can start conversations sparked by your thoughts, ideas and passions on one of the most active social networks.
It’s fast and easy. Start your own Channel right from your BlackBerry smartphone. Once your Channel is up and running, you create the content and post it – we’ll take care of the rest.
Manage your channel
BBM Channels gives you lots of options to
- Allow BBM Chats with You – Optionally allow your subscribers, even if they’re not in your contact list to start a BBM chat with you. You can also specify chat hours when you are available to chat
- Allow Comments on Post – Optionally prevent subscribers from leaving comments on posts within your channel
- Approve Comments – If enabled, comments are allowed but must be approved using the BBM Channels Manager website
- Show Channel in Search – Optionally prevent others from finding your channel using the search feature
- Show Channel Activity in Updates – If enabled, updates applicable to this channel will appear in your BBM updates listing
Just like BBM, BBM Channels are always on and always with you.
Channels live on your smartphone right in BBM, so you have access to them anywhere you are.
With notifications built in to BBM, you can get instant updates on the Channels you follow or when someone interacts with one of the posts on your channel
Enhanced BBM Updates
The BBM Updates feed is now richer, with big beautiful photos
It blends personal updates, as well as Channels updates, for a rich viewing experience
If you see a BBM Update that you want to talk about you can jump right in to a chat
This update to BBM will be available for the following BlackBerry smartphones
- All BlackBerry 10 smartphones
- BlackBerry OS smartphones running BBOS 5.0 and higher
Documentation for troubleshooting issues with BBM can be found at: www.blackberry.com/btsc using the following search term: BBM.
Self Service Resources
The BBM support page offers customers multiple self-service options, including product documentation, how-to demos, tips & tricks, and YouTube® videos, plus much more. The BBM support pages can be found at www.blackberry.com/support/BBM
Social Support Resources
The Inside BlackBerry Help Blog provides information about BBM and can be found with the tag BBM. The BlackBerry Support Community Forums includes Product Release Announcements on the Announcements board and a BBM discussion board.
How To Videos
Two short videos will provide customers with instructions on how to create your own BBM Channel or subscribe to an existing channel. These can be found on YouTube at the links below.
For additional support resources including product documentation, how-to demos, tips & tricks, YouTube® videos, and much more, please visit the BBM Channels support page online at