RIM has not even announced BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 SP4 but they have just made its features official. Piotr @BBNews.pl noticed that RIM published a knowledge base article detailing the new features of BES 5.0.4 for Exchange, Novell GroupWise, and IBM Lotus Domino. Many of these updates seem to mimic the latest BIS update but you can find the details below. Mainly what I found interesting was the higher limit for HTML emails and attachments along with automatically pre-populating your older email on every activation not just pin changes.
- Java® 6 Update 31 or higher
BlackBerry Monitoring Service Removed
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0 SP4 does not include the BlackBerry® Monitoring Service.
- No version of the BlackBerry® Monitoring Service works with BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0 SP4.
- Upon upgrading to BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0 SP4, the Installer will force the removal of the BlackBerry Monitoring Service component if it is installed.
New Messaging Features
- Includes support for sending messages that use Latin characters along with Hebrew or Arabic characters.
- The maximum size of HTML email messages has been increased from 32KB to 300KB.
- The default maximum attachment size has been increased from from 3MB to 10MB.
- Synchronizes the full body of sent messages to the BlackBerry® smartphone.
- The time from the BlackBerry® smartphone is used to indicate the time a message was sent instead of using the time on the server. Sent messages now display the correct sent time even if the BlackBerry® smartphone is in a time zone that is different from the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.
- The BlackBerry® Attachment Service now supports password-protected attachments.
- The BlackBerry® Attachment Service for displays more shapes from Microsoft® PowerPoint® attachments.
- The default number of messages to prepopulate has been increased to 1000 or 14 days of messages (whichever is less).
- Performs prepopulation at every activation, not just when a PIN changes (for example if all data and applications are deleted and the smartphone is activated again).
- Includes both header and body information in prepopulated messages.
New Calendar Features
- Canceled meetings can be left in the calendar on BlackBerry® smartphones instead of automatically removing them. This feature is supported on BlackBerry® device software 7.1 and higher.
- Includes security enhancements that are designed to allow verification of data integrity and authenticity for organizations that use multiple layers of encryption.
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Resource Kit
- The BlackBerry® Enterprise Transporter includes online help.
- Does not include the BlackBerry® Domain Search tool because BlackBerry® Mobile Fusion Studio includes the features the tool offered.
- Includes enhancements that reduce the workload on the computer that hosts the BlackBerry® Configuration Database.
Access Control Policies
- Administrators can assign access control policies to both individuals and groups.
VPN Profile Certificates
- Administrators can configure VPN profile certificates for BlackBerry® smartphones so that users do not need to perform this task.