Thanks to everybody who sent in this alternative to Viigo. RIM is planning on integrating RSS directly into OS 6 but until then we are left with the feature-lacking free Viigo RSS reader. Don’t get me wrong I use Viigo every day and the app is free but it does not hold a candle to other platforms RSS readers. Adam over @CrackBerry spotted a new RSS reader for BlackBerrys that FULLY synchronizes with the popular Google Reader RSS service.
This app BerryReader includes features that let you:
- Access your All Items, Starred Items, Shared Items, a single feed or a single folder for reading
- Automatically update in the background every 15, 30, 45 minutes, 1 or 3 hours
- Manage (add/remove) subscriptions from your device
- Quickly toggle an article’s Starred, Like, Unread and Shared labels or edit the article’s tags for later filtering.
- Read the current list even while offline, changes to labels and tags will be cached and automatically synced when network coverage is regained
- Get notified whenever new articles are available (Includes custom LED color support through BerryBuzz)
- Integrates into the device’s messages list showing a BerryReader item whenever new articles are available
- Easily switch between viewing of all or unread items only
- Choose between compact and full article list layout and black on white or white on black color scheme
- Automatically load thumbnails and full images for every article (Fully preload for offline viewing or when needed to conserve bandwidth)
- Load 10, 20, 35, 50 or 75 items at once into the list. Load more items into the list by clicking the ‘more’ link at the end of the list.
- Articles are automatically marked as read when opened
- Mark all items in the current list as read with a single command
- Swipe left/right on an article header to mark read/star the article (touchscreen devices only)
- Hover over an article to open a shortcut popup for easy changing star/like/tag of an article (touchscreen devices only)
- Fully optimized and compressed synchronization to keep your data usage at a minimum
- Optimized for minimum memory and battery usage
BerryReader is not free like Viigo but its not terribly expensive at $9.95. They even have a 50% off coupon berryreader50 until this Sunday which should give you time to test it out with the 7 day free trial. The trick with the code is that it only works from your BlackBerry at this link or through the on device store. You might even just be able to purchase it from your desktop using this mobile link.