Forgot your password?

Why so expensive?

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion Why so expensive?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  lak611 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

grmonkey
    Participant

ah blackbery app world. Our source to an abundance of apps. From games to weather info, its all there. But my question, y are some of the prices of certain apps so high!?! if you look through app world you will see that a lot of apps and i mean a lot are paid apps. Y is that? $39.99, $59.99 those are extravagant prices (just examples, not any apps in particular). I love my blackberry 9700 but sometimes the prices for berry apps are crazy! the only high priced app i have ever brought is Beejive and that was 15$ dollars.

but other then that, i have never spent more. i mean yes its an app and it took work to make it. But sometimes paid apps are very buggy and still in need of a lot of work.

I am not saying that app world should be only about free apps. But it would be nice to have way more .99 cent apps. A price that is more realistic more affordable in this day and time. We all love apps, themes and games, but with prices so high :( us users have to pass and look for alternatives.

BBM > Apple's millions.
    😀

DanielH
    Participant

I agree, I think the only app over $20 was Docs to Go Premium, which, I’ll admit is worth the $49 or whatever price it is.

Other than DtG, there aren’t many that can say the same. SplashData charges $29.99 for their suite (I paid $9.99 since I had a license for Palm already) and they are a huge disappointment on the blackberry platform if you ask me (Palm OS version was worth it).

I’m not sure why some apps are so expensive, my only thought was size of the developer (is it an individual who is developing for a hobby or is it a corporation mass producing apps) however, there are obviously examples that go both ways. DataViz (DtG) charges for their apps but Google doesn’t. I could go on and on.

grmonkey
    Participant

I love my berry no matter what.

as long as i have the apps i want and or find a free alternative then its all good.

like i said b4 im not much an fanatic.

but i have learned to live with the little apps i do have.

google maps

weathertrax

font collection (only .99 cents and .50 cents to update now that i can do)

capture it

BBnotePad

google voice

what’sMy

who is it?

Number Cruncher

Beejive

FallDown

The light (flashlight)

Tether [correction this has been the most i spent on an app $50 followed by Beejive] (Very expansive might i add ) But it has paid for it self in time. being able to tether and not having to pay extra fees now that’s worth it!

MenuClock(puts the current time on your menu in any app)

pretty much sums up my collection. i have spent money on my apps and i like them all in there own way. but come on developers, take the prices down just a tad.

Please.

BBM > Apple's millions.
    😀

Terrence T
    Participant

Meterberry and Phonebakup is not bad too :)

grmonkey
    Participant

Is the phonebakup an app in app world?

BBM > Apple's millions.
    😀

Fubaz

writing code a BB is a specific style, it isnt as open or easy as writing for Android or iPhone as those are a simpler language as those OSs are linux ports pretty much.

With the coming of QNX which is another style of a linux port, it is going to be much easier for app from other platforms to be ported to QNX.

We all hope some app prices come down, but think about buying software for $30-$50 for your PC, and all of a sudden people complain because its for your phone.

Big Up Big Up, Its a Stick Up Stick Up

Barry
    Participant

Yeah, the platform is much harder to develop for than the other ones… hopefully RIM is taking steps to compete.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Terrence T
    Participant

Yes. Phonebakup is in appworld.. But they rename in appworld as backup

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/2224

On their official webby and description, its known as phonebakup

http://www.bak2u.com/phonebakbb.php

Works fine on my torch :D

jforce
    Participant

wyxywgy said:

i have got a new blackberry bold 9780 just last week,i love it very much ,it is just original and genuine,and paid me 420$(include post)

But why so expensive wyxywgy?

@jforce1

BarracudaBob
    Participant

The only app I ever paid for was TeleNAV. I kept it for a year and then dropped it in favor of free alternatives. They aren’t as full featured, but they get me where I’m going. The only other app I considered buying was QuickLaunch. The phones are expensive enough as it is. I’m not paying for apps unless they are absolutely necessary and so far I’ve always been able to either do without or find a free alternative.

jforce
    Participant

BarracudaBob said:

The only app I ever paid for was TeleNAV. I kept it for a year and then dropped it in favor of free alternatives. They aren’t as full featured, but they get me where I’m going. The only other app I considered buying was QuickLaunch. The phones are expensive enough as it is. I’m not paying for apps unless they are absolutely necessary and so far I’ve always been able to either do without or find a free alternative.

I’m with you Bob. I’m all about the free stuff. The first app I paid for was Aerize Card Loader. It allowed you to store applications on the SD card. It was a perfect addition to my Pearl for $7.50 at the time. I’m pretty sure they stopped updating it after OS 4.5 so I’ve been without it for a while now. Other than that, I have purchased a few cheap games here and there, but I tend to stick with free apps, games and themes.

@jforce1

babisboi
    Participant

I just don’t pay for apps. I don’t need anything that I would need to pay money for.

jforce
    Participant

babisboi said:

I just don’t pay for apps. I don’t need anything that I would need to pay money for.

Of course you don’t. :) Didn’t you mention in another thread that you have around 10 apps on your BB and over 200MB of free memory?

@jforce1

danawoyele
    Participant

my fav price is FREE, have not any BB software before

twitter- @tech_pundit
    liquidaque.wordpress.com

lak611

Terrence T said:

Yes. Phonebakup is in appworld.. But they rename in appworld as backup

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/2224

On their official webby and description, its known as phonebakup

http://www.bak2u.com/phonebakbb.php

Works fine on my torch :D

I would not recommend App World for purchasing apps. For instance, QuickLaunch gets updated last for customers who purchase from App World. http://www.nikkisoft.com/main/?page_id=452

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC