What's missing from BB10 from your point of view?

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion What's missing from BB10 from your point of view?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  howiefelter 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Ofutur
    Participant

We all have different needs when it comes to smartphones and BB10 has not been fully uncovered yet, but based on your tests and on what you've seen/read so far, what's missing for you?

I'm not talking about apps, because that's out of RIM's hands.

Here is a start, from my point of view:

- Missing lots of VPN options

- No S/Mime support

- No word suggestion on mistakes after word has been typed

- No search engine editing in browser

- No browser extensions

- Apps disappearing/crashing in the background (like on PlayBook). A notification would be nice.

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

There are definitely going to be refinements needed afterwards but I am surprised that RIM is running builds quite a bit ahead of what we are seeing. The developer builds get like 200 revisions behind after they get locked down and closed off.

Ofutur
    Participant

I don't get it either since the releases for devs are far from perfect/stable.

I can understand why they'd want to hide some of the features, but not why they would seed releases which are weeks old.

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

Builds are happening constantly add the pieces come together. It takes awhile to their lock down and QA the dev builds which creates the latency.

kiddo2050
    Participant

Jst to put things in perspective, I could care less about any of the things you note except the last one, and maybe word suggestions.

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

Do we know where BB10 stands with regards to support for RTL languages like Hebrew? I was pretty disappointed that you couldn't add Hebrew to the Playbook, seeing how simple it was to add to the BB.

Haven't seen much of the specifics on BB10 but one thing I think hampers a lot of mobile platforms is the lack of native support for various video codecs. Smartphones have become media devices. Why should I have to fish for (much less pay for) an app that will play FLV files?

I'm also hoping that there is more open availability for third party apps to access various hardware features. Again, this is coming off of a somewhat sour experience with the Playbook in that regard. It's got a front-facing camera – why are there no apps that are able to use it?

Lastly, I'm most concerned with already existing features that they not jettison them in the new OS – you know, the little stuff like autotext, holster mode. One thing I think is huge but I can't ever convince my iPhanBoys is significant is how the asterisk on the messages icon shows you if there are NEW items on top of whether there are unread items. I don't believe other OSes have that. When I look at my phone, I don't necessarily want to know if there are unreads as much as I need to know if anything has come in since the last time I looked.

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

RIM has already put RTL language support in the Dev Alpha for BlackBerry 10. I use hebrew all the time.

Video codecs will be practically supported in full. I have covered this already on the blogs so just check it out. With Cascades and a more solid C++ environment we are going to see quite a bit more porting of camera apps.

RIM also has confirmed that autotext, holster mode, and more are coming since they are already in the developer APIs

Ofutur
    Participant

@ShvartzBerry – FLV is not really a standard for playing videos. It's more what you get after ripping online videos, so you can't really blame RIM for not including it in the platform.

The main problem comes from the fact that the ecosystem is very small. Budding entrepreneurs will identify gaps in the market and released paid apps to fill them. As the platform grows, you get more free apps.

BBA Brian
    Participant

Whats missing from BB10? Being released lol…

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

One thing I'd like to see – it's really more of an AppWorld feature than an OS feature and feel free to shoot me down if this is already in the works: I really like the way Google Play allows you to look for apps on your PC, decide you want it and say "hey, install this on my device." Admittedly, AppWorld's plugin that allows you to install straight via USB and NOT over the network is also very cool. But especially if you have a tablet – you can be nowhere near the device and still install apps from the PC.

sinlyn

Whats missing from BB10? And the ecosystem is really so small.

kiddo2050
    Participant

I'm not sure how you know it's "really small." Given all the leaks, my guess is that the real unveil on Jan 30th will be the ecosystem.

Ofutur
    Participant

Something else to add to the list…

Paste doesn't work when adding a new wifi connection. Who likes to type 64 characters long, complicated passphrases on a mobile device?!?

jeffreyh

The main thing missing from BB is great support. I had a problem getting my pop account to work and it wasn't until after I had be on the phone several times and many hours that I got a fix. It was really simple but it was the first place I called, Roger's that finally had someone who could fix it. I just got lucky on the last call as opposed to the first call. That was 2 weeks ago and I bumped into doctor who just got his Z10 2 days ago and yesterday he still couldn't connect his POP account. You'd think that would be an issue that would, no pun intended, pop up to the help lines instantly as a known and fixed problem. This doctor was tickled pink I knew the fix. So why doesn't BB have these tid bits of information out right away. Even speaking to BB directly myself got me nowhere. I go to sites like this to post answers to questions and help where ever possible but in reality BB should be doing a better job of this.

Ofutur
    Participant

I agree. I've always had a hard time getting support. There is no direct channel in Europe, you have to deal with carriers and most CSA are clueless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-ā€˜2014ā€™ BerryReview LLC