Forgot your password?

Update bricked my Torch. Help!

Home Forums Questions and Answers Update bricked my Torch. Help!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence T 6 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

Yesterday, AppWorld alerted me to an updated YouMail app. (I never should have upgraded anyway since the upgrade seems to be mainly to enable ads which people are complaining are way too intrusive). I updated and chose to reboot when prompted. Now, the phone is stuck at the BlackBerry screen you see on reboot. The funny thing is, it actually still works. I can receive call on it. I even heard the BBM tone indicating I have a new message. But the screen is stuck.

Desktop software won’t connect to the device.

BlackBerry Master Control will. I even deleted the YouMail app and rebooted. No luck.

Anyone have any suggestions before I give up and wipe and start anew?

Luis Merlos

That is strange, try re-boot on the pc then disconnect from the internet. See if that lets detects your device first thing I would do if it works is do a backup. Then try to update apps and it should prompt you to remove the youmail app if any cods are still loaded on there.

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

I should add that it is getting unusually hot on the underside of the berry.

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

No go.

Got “BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device.”

Any other options to back up all data without desktop software? BB MCP can see all my modules so I can back up all the apps – just not the data like contacts, emails, etc.

Luis Merlos

Anyway you could try it on a different pc just to see if is not a usb error ? I would try a different pc you can backup 3rd party apps but not sure about settings using bbsak

Terrence T
    Participant

try using the MCP to delete youmail modules?

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

Well, I had to just give up. Nothing was working.

Fortunately, the OS reload went rather smoothly and at least I have a functioning phone. I did a “Device Change” via BlackBerry Desktop Manager and from what I’ve read, you need to be very careful what you bring over from the old OS. Even though it was six days since that, maybe that was the problem. This time I brought over data only and not apps.

Thanks for all your help.

Luis Merlos

your welcome, that’s a good solution.

Terrence T
    Participant

Great to hear that! So, did you reinstall youmail? :D

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC