Forgot your password?

Tour App Install Errors — 552 Error, Out of Memory, Verification Errors, …

Home Forums Questions and Answers Tour App Install Errors — 552 Error, Out of Memory, Verification Errors, …

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jdaryl 6 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Tom
    Participant

I have been periodically experiencing issues with installing additional apps on my BlackBerry Tour. Symptoms include any of the following:

1. "Out of Memory" error upon launch of newly installed app
    2. Module "verification errors" upon launch of newly installed app
    3. 552 error (Reload Software) following reboot
    4. Newly installed app "disappears" following reboot

I did some searching, and I found a post on CrackBerry (by xopher) that actually provides a "solution" (well, not a solution, but more accurately described as a work-around or band aid).

Quote:
    "I am guessing that the error message is coming from the number of apps installed rather than the amount of memory used (although larger apps seem to bring it up more often).

I have about 40 apps installed on my BB (I didn't know that until I counted them). If I install an app and get the "out of memory" error, I can delete it and reboot without having the 552 error pop up (the 552 error will pop up if I reboot before uninstalling the program with the error).

If I uninstall something else (freeing up an app slot), then trying reinstalling the program that got the error, it installs fine – no errors.

As an example, let's say I try to install Viigo and it gives me the "out of memory" error. I'll uninstall Viigo before I do anything else. I can then uninstall Bolt (smaller filesize) and reinstall Viigo without an issue.

I don't know if there is a magic number of apps that sets off the memory error, or maybe it is the number of apps hitting a certain memory location, but if there is an app I really want (no matter the app size), I can usually uninstall one app (even if it is only 19K) and the other app will install properly.

It sounds more like an indexing issue than a real memory issue. Has anyone else noticed something similar?"

So once again, it appears that RIM has released OS v4.7.1 for the Tour with a major bug — I am currently using OS v4.7.1.61 (rel 124), Platform 4.1.0.81, which is the latest "official" Verizon Wireless release for the 9630. While RIM increased the device memory to 256 MB to allow additional applications and data to be installed, there appears to be some undocumented limit to the number of applications that can be installed on the device. I ran into this issue again last night trying to install the new Google Mobile App (yes, the one with voice and device data (i.e., contacts and e-mail) search capabilities) — previously, other apps that caused the issue include BeejiveIM, BOLT, engadget, UPS™ Mobile App for BlackBerry®,… (there really doesn't appear to be any real rhyme or reason). Like the CrackBerry post points out, one must prioritize applications on the device, removing "less important" apps…

ColeDaddy
    Participant

Are you removing apps frequently while NOT using the BB desktop manager?

Derek Brown
    Participant

I ran into this exact same issue a week or two ago, and just jumped to a leaked )S 5.0 release. I remember finding the same CrackBerry post, even e-mailed [email protected] sharing my horror story, and the response I got back was a suggestion to move to 5.0.

I have a Sprint Tour, but all the official Tour OS releases will have this problem. You can wait for them to release a new OS and hope it is fixed, or just move to a leaked OS 5.0. I love the new threaded SMS, and my device seems much snappier (not to mention the battery seems to be lasting longer). I have yet to find any problems, but it's only been a week or two. Even the phone restarts are faster (and have a progress bar).

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

ColeDaddy
    Participant

I asked my question above because the error stopped reoccurring when I started using my desktop manager (pre-updated 5.01 for the Tour). The error was causing me major problems to the point of bricking my Tour twice and getting it replaced once.

The error was caused by my deleting a good number of apps via the Tour unit itself and not via the BBDM. However, once I started using the BBDM, I've had no issues whatsoever.

andyf1326
    Participant

I'm not having a problem with a memory size limit at the time, it is a problem of how big a file I can download. It's like they have a 2.9 Meg limit on anything that I want to download. If someone sends me a file…anything…a song…a powerpoint…whatever…and it's bigger than 2.9 Meg, I get a message back that says I can't download the file because it exceeds the 2.9 Meg file size limit.

Anyone get that too?

ColeDaddy
    Participant

Installing the BB Media Sync will take care of that. I'm able to move over entire TV episodes with no hitch given the media sync desktop app. Go to Blackberry.com and do a search.

DavidB
    Participant

@andyf:

"I get a message back that says I can't download the file because it exceeds the 2.9 Meg file size limit."

This is a BlackBerry Internet Service limit. It affects us all. You can't get around it within native apps.

DavidB
    Verizon Bold 9930 work
    Verizon Droid Bionic play

DavidB
    Participant

@Tom:

I suspect your wait for a solution will be over soon as it is almost for certain an official OS 5.0 for the Verizon Tour 9630 will be released before the end of the month. If you just can't wait any longer, get the OS 5.0.0.591 that BerryReview just posted about.

Also, IMHO your problem likely is due to an app that isn't quite 100% compatible with OS 4.7.1. If I were you, when you DO upgrade to OS 5.0, DO NOT let the upgrade process restore any apps. Backup your device in Desktop Manager to get all your contacts and such saved, but DO NOT use any restore features during the software upgrade. Install OS 5.0 clean, and THEN after you're back up and running log into your carrier BIS and push out Service Books (if they didn't push automatically) and then hook back up to DM and restore your contacts and calendar entries and etc one database at a time. It ain't pretty but it minimizes chances for conflicts later. THEN start downloading/installing apps you need.

And FWIW, I >NEVER< use DM to add/remove apps from my BlackBerry devices. If a app developer is too lazy to create OTA install capability for their app, I'm not wasting my time on it.

DavidB
    Verizon Bold 9930 work
    Verizon Droid Bionic play

Tom
    Participant

@DavidB:

Yes, it now looks to be 30 March (at the latest) for a "Big Red approved" OS v5.0 to drop as its necessary in order to support their launch of PTT (promised to be available on 30 March). At this point, there is no reason for me to install a leaked version when the "supported" version, FWIW, will be out within a week.

I still believe that the issue is an OS bug since I have encountered so many different apps that cause the error — the same apps that can be installed (and run without issue) once one or more other applications are deleted from the device. BTW, I am with you — I avoid Desktop Manager installations at all cost. ;-)

Tom
    Participant

This appears to be resolved with Big Red's "official" OS v5.0.0.591 release.

Derek Brown
    Participant

For what it's worth, this is a known bug in OS 4.7.X. It is not a memory issue, but is indeed an indexing issue, and I have not seen it in 4.6 or 5.0, just various versions of 4.7.X. This is not device specific either, so any BlackBerry running 4.7.X will have this problem after ~40 apps (the magic number for my Tour was 42 or 43 I think).

You can also add "907 Invalid COD" to the list of symptoms when trying to do an OTA install.

I know this topic was resolved almost a week ago, but I wanted to post in case anyone else stumbles across this.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

jdaryl
    Quote:
    I did some searching, and I found a post on CrackBerry (by xopher) that actually provides a “solution” (well, not a solution, but more accurately described as a work-around or band aid).

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/read more-memory-error-291261/index2.html#post4113858

That is a nice little workaround, and even though this was apparently fixed, I am still using this as of today…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC