Forgot your password?

TI OMAP 4 vs Tegra 2

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion TI OMAP 4 vs Tegra 2

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  babisboi 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

One of the things I’ve been wondering is why RIM didn’t choose the Tegra 2 for the Playbook. The Nvidia chip seems to be the weapon of choice of all the upcoming Android phones.

I decided to take a look online to see if there were any comparisons, which could lend to any reasons for choosing it over the Tegra.

This site ranked the OMAP4 above the Tegra 2. It noted the GPU in the OMAP4 should be an improvement over that of the Tegra 2.

As well, back in a hand-on preview last year, TI had touted some advantages it had over the Tegra 2.

Quote:

TI reckon there are several points at which they eclipse their rival. According to Marcelo O Vieria, general manager of the OMAP business group, the OMAP4 1080p video codec is stronger than that of the Tegra 2, in fact he reckons TI “have a better video engine than [NVIDIA] do”. OMAP4 also supports 20-megapixel or higher image processing, as well as three simultaneous displays, and it has significantly more memory bandwidth than Tegra 2 which means it’s better at multitasking. Worth remembering, too, is that OMAP4 is suited to smartphones, which is an area Tegra is yet to extend into.

Will be interesting to see, but from how it performed at CES, I think it’ll be quite the powerful tablet.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Barry
    Participant

This article also came out today regarding TI’s admission that they let the Tegra 2 come out sooner than their dual core processor.

[/quote]One of those customers is RIM, whose BlackBerry Playbook tablet is confirmed to run on TI’s dual-core 1GHz OMAP4430 processor. It’s not clear whether the Playbook is the device in question when Slaymaker said ”we’re shipping to a customer that plans to ramp their tablet production based on OMAP 4? during the call, or if the exec was referring to a different company.

As Slaymaker says, with none of the new slates announced on Tegra 2 at CES 2011 actually on the market yet, “the tablet market, as is the smartphone market, will be a competitive [one]” and the battle for chip dominance is nowhere near settled. As we saw in our own hands-on with the Playbook it’s a speedy, capable tablet, and there’s plenty to recommend the OMAP 4 CPUs. It’ll only be once this new breed of dual-core tablets actually reach the market that we see which company’s processors pull ahead.

Quote:

As far as I know, the Playbook is the only one announced to have the OMAP4, if I’m correct. Looks to be some pressure on both companies to perform.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Barry
    Participant

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/nvidia-tegra-3-equipped-with-1-5ghz-quad-core-madness-teased-b/

Quad Core SoC?? That would be ridiculous. Imagine that inside a smartphone. I wonder how the battery usage would be though, that’s some serious horsepower.

babisboi
    Participant

Battery life is a major concern for RIM. Hopefully that doesn’t slow them down when it comes to releasing phones.

danawoyele
    Participant

From the videos demos have watched on the playbook,it seems to handle graphics very well with its 1gb of RAM and still multitasks even though,the more the apps running at the background,the slow the response of the current app

twitter- @tech_pundit
    liquidaque.wordpress.com

babisboi
    Participant

There isn’t a device currently out that wouldn’t slow down. The PlayBook is gonna be a beast.

danawoyele
    Participant

well i guess we all know that….lets see what apple will do with its iPad 2

twitter- @tech_pundit
    liquidaque.wordpress.com

babisboi
    Participant

The Ipad 2 is going to an amazing device. I would never buy it, but I will acknowledge that its going to be nice.

danawoyele
    Participant

No doubt,all these question shall be answered at MWC 2011

twitter- @tech_pundit
    liquidaque.wordpress.com

babisboi
    Participant

I really hope so. Im excited for next week.

danawoyele
    Participant

me too,really excited

twitter- @tech_pundit
    liquidaque.wordpress.com

babisboi
    Participant

I was just as excited for CES and we didn’t have the leaks we have going into this conference. I hope RIM shows something off. Or they could show all of it off and announce that they are coming out sooner than rumored.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC