Forgot your password?

Thoughts on Data Mining

Home Forums Discuss Anything Thoughts on Data Mining

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fastcivic416 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

My post about Poynt adding geofencing reminded me of this news item that happened last month:

http://www.switched.com/2010/12/16/privacy-bill-of-rights-department-of-commerce/

Obama Administration Pushes for Online ‘Privacy Bill of Rights’

The key part in this is that the US is proposing to enforce a rule that apps on iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc have to explicitly tell the user that their program sends your info to companies for marketing purposes.

I believe here in Canada, there is a Privacy Commissioner that enforces the same type of thing. It was the same arm of government that told Facebook last year that it needed to bolster its privacy implementation to conform to Canadian privacy laws. However, I’m unsure if they police apps that mine your personal data without you knowing it here. Being in Canada, I’ve never had any app inform me my data was being given to marketing companies.

I remember after installing apps from JaredCo, I would start receiving marketing emails. They seem to be notorious for this tactic.

As much as one hates this type of invasion of privacy, one has to wonder if this is one of the only ways app developers can generate revenue? And if this law was enforced, would the quality and quantity of apps go down because app developers just wouldn’t create apps if this revenue stream was halted?

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

fastcivic416
    Participant

i don’t think the app quantity or quality will go down. i think they would have to charge more per app to cover the costs of their new marketing expenses tho.

the best way to get it out there is to give about 100 copies to the top websites and let them write a positive review on it. maybe make a really funny video and post it on youtube and hope that it’ll go viral. whichever way they do it, they’ll have to be more creative on the lower budget marketing level and then not cheap out when advertising in a bigger market (ie. google or bb/android/iphone/windows oriented websites)

DanielH
    Participant

Barry said:

My post about Poynt adding geofencing reminded me of this news item that happened last month:

http://www.switched.com/2010/12/16/privacy-bill-of-rights-department-of-commerce/

Obama Administration Pushes for Online ‘Privacy Bill of Rights’

The key part in this is that the US is proposing to enforce a rule that apps on iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc have to explicitly tell the user that their program sends your info to companies for marketing purposes.

I believe here in Canada, there is a Privacy Commissioner that enforces the same type of thing. It was the same arm of government that told Facebook last year that it needed to bolster its privacy implementation to conform to Canadian privacy laws. However, I’m unsure if they police apps that mine your personal data without you knowing it here. Being in Canada, I’ve never had any app inform me my data was being given to marketing companies.

I remember after installing apps from JaredCo, I would start receiving marketing emails. They seem to be notorious for this tactic.

As much as one hates this type of invasion of privacy, one has to wonder if this is one of the only ways app developers can generate revenue? And if this law was enforced, would the quality and quantity of apps go down because app developers just wouldn’t create apps if this revenue stream was halted?

I must have read over your comment about JaredCo when you first posted…you are so right. If I recall, they even had one email saying that if you gave a positive review for one of their apps in AppWorld and then bought one of their other apps, they would give it to you for free. Buying a positive review? Really?

babisboi
    Participant

I hope it doesn’t change the app world as we know it too much. There so many good things coming up, and I would hate for some kind of government involvement to really change things for developers and consumers. Granted, I don’t want me information going out there, but I also don’t want developers to lose any income either it. This seems to be a very delicate situation.

fastcivic416
    Participant

they should just list as part of the terms of agreement and let the users decide. if they don’t accept the terms, they can just deny it and continue with the download….or at least have a box that they can check/uncheck to allow them to give our info to 3rd party marketing companies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC