Forgot your password?

The Overlooked Feature of RIM's 2011 Line-up?

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion The Overlooked Feature of RIM's 2011 Line-up?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

We were all excited to see some of the upgrades in tech specs that were leaked last week about the 2011 lineup. The particular improvements that jumped out at me immediately were the 3G mobile hotspot capability that a lot of people have been hoping for, and the VGA resolution on the new Dakota. Can’t get over how much I want this phone!

But perhaps mostly unnoticed was the addition of NFC (Near Field Communications) to most of the new handsets.

What is NFC? I admit I didn’t know at first.

To steal some info from WikiPedia:

Quote:

Near Field Communication or NFC, is a short-range high frequency wireless communication technology which enables the exchange of data between devices over about a 10 centimeter (around 4 inches) distance

NFC technology is currently aimed mainly at being used with mobile phones. There are currently three specific uses for NFC:

* Card emulation: the NFC device behaves like an existing contactless card

* Reader mode: the NFC device is active and reads a passive RFID tag, for example for interactive advertising

* P2P mode: two NFC devices are communicating together and exchanging information.

I think we’ve all heard of this coming technology, where you can pay for things, enter a secured building, basically use your phone for a lot of the tasks you do every day.

I’m glad that RIM is taking this on, as I don’t think any other phone has promoted this yet really. It seems to be a natural fit for RIM as well, with all the various corporate uses (use as a swipe access card, or even read access cards, exchanging e-“business cards”).

The challenge I think is getting businesses and other institutions (government) to buy into this. I find especially at the government level, they are VERY SLOW at adopting new things. Our city has been talking for years about having a Swipe-based card bus pass, and I think they’re still talking.

Do you guys see it as an important feature going forward, or not so much?

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

DanielH
    Participant

I don’t fully understand it so I’ll have to do some more research but sounds cool. It wouldn’t be a selling feature for me but if one of the things it allows is building access, I could definitely seeing companies appreciating it being on their devices…no longer have to give employees a separate badge…

For me, Wifi hotspot technology is an example of a selling feature:)

Barry
    Participant

And to add onto this, I read this morning about Starbucks allowing people to pay with their mobile phone through their app.. Seems like businesses are at least heading in that direction.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

DanielH
    Participant

That might be in place already actually. I can’t remember. I think I heard that another use of this technology is with reward cards. No longer will people have to keep them on their keychain, they’ll just be a digital swipe from your blackberry. Imagine the same would apply with gift cards as well.

Barry
    Participant

I may have overlooked one thing. Looks like Google has already started the promotion of this feature in their Nexus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5mUdeEF8c

Ah well, hopefully RIM gets into the game as well.. i think they’re in a better position, in terms of its userbase, to showcase this feature.

acwyau
    Participant

I’m curious to see if the mobile hotspot capability is OS6.1 based and whether this feature will be enabled on current handsets that will get the 6.1 upgrade.

Barry
    Participant

If Mickey D’s comes out for NFC, we could see a real push:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/21/mcdonalds_starbucks/

Quote:
    McDonalds samples NFC swipe-tech in UK

McDonalds will be accepting proximity payment cards in 1,200 UK branches from this summer, though Starbucks has almost 7,000 stores lined up to accept barcodes in the USA.

Starbucks’ national roll-out will see Americans paying for coffee with a wave of their phone using an old technology. Meanwhile, McDonalds UK is embracing the very latest tech by installing tills that will accept today’s proximity-enabled credit cards and tomorrow’s NFC-enabled mobile phones.

NFC-enabled handsets such as Google’s Nexus S will, eventually, be able to download credit card applications and be compatible with the kit that McDonalds is deploying – the Near Field Communications standard demands backwards compatibility with existing payment systems – but that’s still still a year or so off at least.

vecharo

MyCardStar allows you to put all your rewards cards on your BB. I love it since while my cards are on my keychain if i got to the store and hubby drives then i don’t have my keys. i just pull up the app, pick the store and show the barcode to the cashier. LOVE IT.

follow me on twitter @vecharo

Barry
    Participant

Yet again, the other companies (Google, Apple) beat RIM to the punch. I read reports today of Apple having NFC on its phones– which of course will be interpreted by everyone as “APPLE INVENTED IT!”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC