Forgot your password?

The Competition – HP WebOS Tablet released. Ipad 2 like a 3G-3GS update?

Home Forums Discuss Anything The Competition – HP WebOS Tablet released. Ipad 2 like a 3G-3GS update?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

Looks like more competition for the Playbook

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/exclusive-hp-palms-webos-tablets-pictures-plans-and-mor/

Quote:
    A trusted tipster just sent in these internal renders of HP / Palm’s “Topaz” webOS tablet, which is one of two tablets currently being developed in Sunnyvale. That’s right, two tablets: the 9-inch Topaz and a 7-inch model codnamed Opal — a lineup that fits nicely into Palm’s “Something big, Something small, Something beyond” tagline for its upcoming February 9th event. Looking at the render, we’re seeing the no-button design we’d previously heard about (we’re assuming the gesture area rotates with the display), a front-facing camera, a micro USB port on the bottom, and what appears to be a Vizio Tablet-style three speaker arrangement for stereo audio in both landscape and portrait modes — that’s two speakers along the left side and a third on the right. (That’s just a guess, though.) We’d also note the back appears to be a glossy material, which might rule out a giant Touchstone for charging — Touchstone backs have heretofore been soft-touch, but anything can change, we suppose.

We’re told that units will start to arrive at Palm HQ in June as production ramps up for launch later this year — a timeline backed up by an internal marketing slide we received that lists WiFi-only, AT&T 3G, and Verizon LTE versions of the Opal arriving in September 2011, and on AT&T LTE in July 2012. The slide also indicates the Opal will have a particular e-reading focus, which makes sense for a 7-inch device, and there’s a mention of “premium audio,” which nicely reinforces our speaker hypothesis. Unfortunately, we don’t have any word on specs or pricing yet, but these things had better be packing some serious heat for cheap if Palm is really planning to wait until September to launch them — they’ll be going head-to-head with the Xoom, the PlayBook, and presumably the iPad 2. We’re still digging for more, so keep an eye out — things are going to get crazy leading up to February 9th.

Update: We’re told that they both have unspecified 1.2GHz processors, and that Topaz may arrive before Opal. We’ll let you know if we learn anything else.

EDIT: should have noticed the release date. September 2011?? Looks a little late to the game… By then both the Playbook and iPad 2 will be out for a while. If they price it aggressively, could be a decent alternative, and it seems to have the touch bezel gesture control like the Playbook.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Terrence T
    Participant

Webos vs qnx!

Round 1! Fight!

DanielH
    Participant

Terrence T said:

Webos vs qnx!

Round 1! Fight!

lol, if there was no playbook, I’d strongly consider this, since I started on the Palm platform (that’s right, I would not buy an ipad). Respec. But alas, my dollar is going to the playbook.

Barry
    Participant

Interesting, it seems HP is trying to highlight its ability as an eBook reader. Smart move, something I hope RIM intends to do. I know that e-ink is still considered the ideal screen for long hours of reading. But I think the positive reviews that the Nook Color got with its full color LCD shouldn’t prevent them from touting the Playbook as a eBook reader.

In regards to the WebOS tablet though,

I read this this morning which may hinder its success in this.

Quote:
    Tablets are ideal for ebook reading, and Amazon was quick to produce the Kindle app for every major mobile platform. Unfortunately, the list of supported devices and platforms (iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, iPad) is still missing webOS. This will impede HP’s webOS tablets to compete at launch with other tablets. Amazon has bypassed the webOS platform so far and has not indicated plans to change that. Most likely if HP gets a solid launch with webOS tablets Amazon may take another look at producing a Kindle app for them. Or maybe Kindle is a surprise that HP has planned for Feb. 9? Hopefully that won’t be too late.

No Kindle on the WebOS tablet would be a huge setback. The HP tablet is already coming late to the game (Sept 2011), so if they have to wait for Amazon to a) consider the HP tablet good enough to have its kindle app and b) develop the app, it might be a lost cause.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Barry
    Participant

So I thought I’d change this thread to a broader “Competition” thread. I first posted the article about the HP tablet.

The iPad 2 is the one everyone is clamoring to figure out now.. With early reports that this was going to a super high resolution (retina) display, some are doubting it now:

Quote:
    Rumors are rampant that the upcoming iPad 2 will feature a higher-resolution retina display. Long story short: No, it won’t.

The post goes on to say that it’ll be more like a 3G to 3GS type upgrade because of costs, and that the more significant upgrade will be in 2012 or 2013. He’s also not convinced there’s an SD slot.

Barry
    Participant

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/htc-flyer-tablet-arriving-by-summer-but-android-30-not-included-50002290/

Looks like HTC is trying to be the first on the Market in 2011. I’d never even heard of the Flyer Tablet

Quote:
    Now the company is preparing a big tablet push in 2011, starting with the HTC Flyer. The device could be available in the US as soon as March, according to DigiTimes, and then in other countries by the summer.

It’s kind of weird that noone even knows what it looks like yet?

Looks like it runs 2.3 for now (upgradeable to 3.0 later).

EDIT: as a side note, any one know why the thread isn’t bumped to the top after a new post? I did edit the title of the first post. Is that what did it?

Barry
    Participant

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/motorola-xoom-priced-at-800-at-a-minimum-according-to-verizon/

Quote:
    Motorola Xoom priced at $800 at a minimum, according to Verizon leak

Yikes, $800 for the Xoom?

Nice tablet, but way too much imo.

Barry
    Participant

Is Motorola trying to copy BBM ?

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/21/motorola-messenger-coming-with-new-blur-bbm-for-android/

Quote:
    One of our amazing readers just pointed out the fact that there was an app called “Motorola Messenger” loaded onto the DROID BIONIC that we totally missed during our short-but-awesome time with the device at CES. Although we didn’t actually open it, we’re hoping that this is a Blackberry Messenger-styled app for Motorola devices. BBM has been one of the most missed apps for anyone switching over to Android, so it’s about time that one of the manufacturers attempted something like this. Of course the problem here is that it will likely only work with Moto devices, which means no chit-chatting with the Incredible friends.

Barry
    Participant

So apparently Toshiba’s tablet has a user replaceable battery. Not that I see Toshiba as a viable competitor as impressive as its specs look, I wonder if the Playbook could have had a replaceable battery at the sacrifice at a few mm of thickness.

Barry
    Participant

Specs leaked for HP’s tablet

Quote:
    The folks over at Pre Central just scored an internal document detailing presumed specifications of HP’s forthcoming 9.7-inch tablet, and it looks like the aforesaid CPU will be joined by an integrated Adreno 220 GPU, 512MB of DDR2 memory, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, a front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera and dual-band 802.11b/g/n WiFi. We’re told to expect an oleophobic Gorilla Glass screen with a standard XGA (1024 x 768) resolution, options for 16GB, 32GB or 64GB of storage, optional WWAN, an accelerometer, gyroscope, light sensor, microphone and a battery that’ll last for around eight hours in ideal circumstances. Naturally, webOS will be onboard, and we’re hearing that a WiFi-only model will indeed hit the market at some point. As for the connected versions? HSPA, LTE and CDMA variants are rumored, with the former two likely to be SIM-locked while all three carry A-GPS.

via engadget

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC