Forgot your password?

Surf the internet without a BIS or BES?

Home Forums Questions and Answers Surf the internet without a BIS or BES?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  babisboi 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

genie_smith
    Participant

I’m happy to log into hotmail, gmail, or whatever to check my email. I don’t want/need a *ding* to indicate I just got an email, and have instant access. I love the Bold 9780 (white) look and hardware features, and would be using it mostly for talking and texting, as well as some general online browsing (e.g. with Opera Mini, Bolt, etc.). This would be my first BB… is that possible with a regular data plan? Or do I have to sign onto a special BB plan in order to browse the internet, etc?

Barry
    Participant

As far as I know you would need BIS to even run Opera and most third party apps.

If you can afford a data plan then a BB Data plan shouldn’t be more expensive anyway. I had 500MB regular data on my line, and all they had to do to make it BIS ready was add a code to my service plan so I got BIS. There was no charge or anything.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Fubaz

A regular data plan will not work… unless you use WiFi or WAP.

You can try.. have you tried?

See what happens and report back.

otherwise you will need BIS as barrist has said.

Big Up Big Up, Its a Stick Up Stick Up

Barry
    Participant

It won’t work. There used to be some apps that worked with wifi, opera for example, but I’m guessing those don’t anymore. Bb plans shouldn’t be anymore expensive than a regular data plan

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

fastcivic416
    Participant

genie_smith said:

I’m happy to log into hotmail, gmail, or whatever to check my email. I don’t want/need a *ding* to indicate I just got an email, and have instant access. I love the Bold 9780 (white) look and hardware features, and would be using it mostly for talking and texting, as well as some general online browsing (e.g. with Opera Mini, Bolt, etc.). This would be my first BB… is that possible with a regular data plan? Or do I have to sign onto a special BB plan in order to browse the internet, etc?

depending on who ur service provider is, there is a way. if ur service provider allows u to have email and bbm only (usually $15/mth in canada from bell, telus, rogers… etc) and u have wifi on ur bb (which u do with the 9780) then u should be able to download opera and have it work when ur not connected to wifi. i set this up for my little cousin’s 9700. she just wanted bbm and sms so she can talk to her friends. i downloaded opera mini on her bb using my sim card (i have unltd data) and launched it. accepted all the agreements etc… and set up some bookmarks for her. once all that was complete, i put her sim card back in and she was good to go. she uses it all the time when there isn’t a wifi connection.

hope this helps.

Fubaz

fastcivic416 said:

depending on who ur service provider is, there is a way. if ur service provider allows u to have email and bbm only (usually $15/mth in canada from bell, telus, rogers… etc) and u have wifi on ur bb (which u do with the 9780) then u should be able to download opera and have it work when ur not connected to wifi. i set this up for my little cousin’s 9700. she just wanted bbm and sms so she can talk to her friends. i downloaded opera mini on her bb using my sim card (i have unltd data) and launched it. accepted all the agreements etc… and set up some bookmarks for her. once all that was complete, i put her sim card back in and she was good to go. she uses it all the time when there isn’t a wifi connection.

hope this helps.

These seem to be Canada only plans, and arent typically offered in other countries.

Big Up Big Up, Its a Stick Up Stick Up

babisboi
    Participant

fastcivic416 said:

hope this helps.

Thats a cool little trick.

jforce
    Participant

fubaz said:

These seem to be Canada only plans, and arent typically offered in other countries.

Ya, there are some interesting plan options up here. You can get unlimited social networking which is bbm, FB, twitter, myspace and maybe a couple others. I think its a total waste. Why not just get a straight data plan and use it however you want?

@jforce1

babisboi
    Participant

Jay said:

Ya, there are some interesting plan options up here. You can get unlimited social networking which is bbm, FB, twitter, myspace and maybe a couple others. I think its a total waste. Why not just get a straight data plan and use it however you want?

Some people would really like a social networking plan. If they don’t use their phones for anything else, and they could save some money why not just get that?

jforce
    Participant

babisboi said:

Some people would really like a social networking plan. If they don’t use their phones for anything else, and they could save some money why not just get that?

Oh ya, I’m sure a lot of people do get that plan. I think it really restricts the potential of the BB though. What about other apps that use data? No weathereye? Poynt? For me, I want straight data.

@jforce1

babisboi
    Participant

Jay said:

Oh ya, I’m sure a lot of people do get that plan. I think it really restricts the potential of the BB though. What about other apps that use data? No weathereye? Poynt? For me, I want straight data.

I’m with you, I want to be able to use my data they way I want to. And you’re right about limiting the BB potential. There are alot of people out there that have no idea what their BBs can do. Its a shame really.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC