Forgot your password?

Stay with Blackberry?

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion Stay with Blackberry?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence T 6 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bloodbath
    Participant

I currently have the Blackberry 8320 Curve. It’s a dinosaur of a phone (well by today’s standards anyway). I’m due for an upgrade so I was wondering if it’s worth getting another Blackberry or getting something like the Samsung Galaxy (which has received decent reviews). It seems that the Android OS is catching up/surpassing the Blackberry OS. The Android apps market is expanding exponentially also.

To add more fuel to the fire, the Win 7 phones are supposedly coming out soon.

It just seems to me that Blackberry is starting to lag behind the others. Of course, as I said before, I’m still rocking the 8320, so maybe I’m just out of touch. lol

Please let me know what you think.

parked

I adore BB’s full QWERTY so it’s one of my main reasons for staying with RIM. I’m just not a touchscreen or slide-out keyboard person. The trackpad is also very good and I love being able to use just 1 thumb for almost everything. Also, I’m waiting/hoping for the official BB6 release for my Bold, which looks to be awesome.

I do like the look and size of the the new Android phones (they are so sleek), but again, I much prefer the BB’s QWERTY and trackpad combo. Their Marketplace is pretty huge, but I probably wouldn’t use 90% of their apps. All of the apps on my parents’ Androids mirror what I have on my BB.

For me, it’s not a matter of what OS is selling more phones or whoever is getting the most market share or what is everyone else getting. I get my phone for what it can do for me, the plan’s cost/features, etc. It’s more of a personal choice for me rather than a “keeping up with the Joneses” type of thing – so, if BB OS gets surpassed by Android OS or iOS, then oh well, I will still love my BB.

Good luck! There’s tons of great phones out there so I know it’s a hard decision.

Terrence T
    Participant

Hate to break the news to u but windows 7 isn’t getting really good reviews from what I can see (in my country at least)

Ios and andriod isn’t bad. But if you think you need multimedia over security, then they are for you (jailbreak and rooting exposes all your data openly)

And the fact is, recently, there was a article gauging the most durable smartphones, blackberry came in top, while apple and andriods were much at the bottom.

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

Personally I think that Android is shaping up to be a valid contender but they still have some serious flaws. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate and the battery does not last for longer than 8 hours and I am being generous about that. If you are actually using it like a BlackBerry you are down to 4-5 hours. That is the hidden story about the 1Ghz processors. They KILL batteries.

Yeah that is the other thing I don’t understand about the fascination with apps. I can’t think of any app that I would use on a daily basis that I don’t have on my BlackBerry. When people are talking about apps they usually mean games. I only expect my BlackBerry to do casual gaming. I am not going to be playing call of duty during a meeting. :)

If anything the thing I noticed most when using an Android and iPhone for a week was the things you take for granted on a BlackBerry. There is practically no integration between apps. No messages view to see every single different way somebody tried contacting you be it IM, BBM, Email, Twitter, Facebook, etc everything in one place. Also the BlackBerry native IM clients blow all the other devices out of the water.

bloodbath
    Participant

Thanks for the input. Never really looked at it from the security aspect. That’s kind of odd considering I’m very protective of my data, etc. I guess I assumed that Android would be up to par in that aspect. That’s what I get for assuming.

I’m not big on apps, but I do have a few. None of them are games though; just utility apps that make things better for my Blackberry (Location Profiler for example). I just don’t like that the prices are generally more expensive.

The battery on my 8320 is great. I would definitely miss that. However, do the new BB phones still have the same great battery life? Their processors are bigger and better now also.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.

parked

With heavy texting, phone calls, moderate browsing, and e-mail writing, AIM, Twitter, BeReader, and sometimes WiFi always on, I don’t have to charge my phone until bedtime.

If battery life is an issue, there is always the Seidio slim 1700mAh or fatty 2600mAh extended batteries, which have gotten good reviews. The 2600mAh is more bang for your buck from what I’ve read. This is for the Bold 9650 (and probably the Tour 9630).

Terrence T
    Participant

Yes. battery is still hell good. especially with 9700 ;)

But, 9800, with pretty smaller batter, larger screen and memory modules, battery isnt as good as 9700, but still beats my ip4 and Galaxy S hands down.

MikeWalt24

I had numerous Blackberrys from the 7130e to the 8700c, 9000, & 9700. I switched to the Apple iPhone 4 in August. I tried it for 4weeks and Did Not Like it. It seems a very impressive device in the sense that it does a lot &looks pretty. I didn’t like the phone quality and typing on the screen proved horrible as it claims to auto-correct but personally I think it does a lousy job of it. I wanted a blackberry back. Fortunately, through my work, we have 30 days to test out new phones and the Torch was released. I sent the iPhone 4 back and got the Torch. Turned out to be a great decision. I love the phone. Solid, two options with full Qwerty or on screen. Phone quality is great. Additional memory slot that now has a 32GB micro SD card in it. It holds all of my music and syncs with iTunes or WMP. I have MobiPocket Reader on it that is a very nice ebook reader. I can’t say enough good about the Torch.

Good luck in deciding Bloodbath!

parked

I did see someone with an iPhone 4 texting the “BlackBerry way” (2 thumbs) instead of the hunt/peck that I usually see iPhone users do. I was pretty amazed as he had big hands and was typing pretty fast. A girl seated next to him had a Storm 2 and was hunting/pecking. Go figure.

Terrence T
    Participant

yea i did see before too. But compare its rarity to seeing someone speed typing on a qwerty. Go figure.

parked

Well, no, the point is not rarity but rather that it is possible to type “the BB way” on touchscreen phones – something that I originally thought would be difficult. So, texting styles across smartphones are converging (with BB showing people how it’s done). ;-)

P.S. Your use of “go figure” is incorrect lol. :-P

Terrence T
    Participant

Thats true.

it correct in the context of figuring the rarity of it.. hard it is.. thats why most are on qwerty not touch. haha.

DavidB
    Participant

The new Curve 3G would be a nice upgrade if you’re going to stay on BlackBerry. Or hold out a bit for the Bold 9780 to launch. If you are TRULY concerned about security, you wouldn’t even CONSIDER switching to a platform (such as iPhone or Android) that is so easily “rooted”. All these new devices for those platforms, and STILL no BlackBerry has been rooted.

DavidB
    Verizon Bold 9930 work
    Verizon Droid Bionic play

Terrence T
    Participant

now..

watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZAG9I0nC_0

“Do what you love. Love what you do. Blackberry”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw4jr-9g_0Y

“if bbm was a girl,then i love everything about its body”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeS7Ic9i2zg

“iphone vs blackberry”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC