Forgot your password?

Should RIM scrap the Torch form factor?

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion Should RIM scrap the Torch form factor?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  DanielH 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

First off, I have a Torch and like it very much.

However, I do feel that it kind of dilutes the line-up of phones RIM is working on, especially if we’re seeing the addition of a new low end Curve Touch.

I think the Torch was RIM’s attempt at capturing the trend of sliders which in my opinion has already passed its prime. Most high end phones are large 4″+ touchscreens now.

The Torch tries to provide the best of both worlds but falls short on either side. On the Touchscreen side, the screen is too small to use full-time. And, the physical keyboard is not up to par with other Blackberry phones (in part because of the need to make the phone as flat as possible). I find typing on it for long periods of time uncomfortable, and the balance is top-heavy when it’s slid out which adds to the awkwardness.

RIM’s premiere handsets should only include imo, a high-end Touchscreen-only phone and a high-end classic keyboard phone. I’m sure some will disagree with me, but I think if their resources are focused on these two, they’ll come out better. I shouldn’t say “scrap” but maybe relegate it to a lower-end market; I recall there were rumours of a Torch-lite phone in the works.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

stevendsnyder

I don’t think it should be scraped, but due believe that with the new higher resolution Blackberrys slated for later in 2011, the Torch will be relegated to a lower market by these new offerings. I recently purchased a 9780 and love the phone, but can’t wait to see the new phones and the Playbook. Exciting times for RIM and Blackberry users.

Barry
    Participant

I donno, the Torch2 that leaked a few weeks ago seems to be on par with the new Storm and Bold.. so it looks like they’re keeping those three on top..

I’m just not sure if that form factor will ever catch on with much enthusiasm and their resources could be put elsewhere, or getting phones in people’s hands faster. Instead of releasing the Torch, could they have not released what people wanted, ie. the Dakota? I think that would have gotten RIM back on track instead of an attempt at a new slider phone.

Ah well, I guess it’ll make the arrival of the Dakota that much sweeter.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Terrence T
    Participant

yes… scrap the design

DanielH
    Participant

Right now the Torch is RIM’s flagship device…I don’t see the design being scrapped altogether but I do think it will be transitioned to the lower-end market as the new devices come out. Where as Apple’s strategy is based on a single phone, RIM has a lineup of phones that appeal to various customer bases. The Torch and the Style, believe it or not, there are still people out there that like flip phones and the slider style is still popular as well. As a result, I think RIM will keep both in the lineup. And, I’m sure some of you have seen them already but, they even have commercials for the Style now.

Won’t be the flagship devices but I don’t think it would hurt to keep them out there either, maybe scale back production, but there’s still a market…

Barry
    Participant

True I actually think the flip still has fans, but I’m not sure if I see the slider as being popular moving forward. And it seems it’ll still be similarly spec’d to the high end monaco and dakota. I’d rather them release those two phones earlier instead of tryig to release 3 higher end phones

DanielH
    Participant

I still see a slider phones, mostly teenage texting machine:)

Barry
    Participant

Hah exactly. I think it should be relegated to that mid level user. The power user will either want a full size keyboard or a big touchscreen.

Fubaz

I think the torch is a great form factor, big screen, qwerty keypad.

Big Up Big Up, Its a Stick Up Stick Up

Barry
    Participant

I like it too, but I don’t think they should market it as one of its flagship models.. It appeals to a different crowd, and muddles the line-up imo. BUT, if they could make it thin like they’ve been able to do with the new Dakota and Monaco, that would be a positive. However, it looks like the Torch 2 is the same design, only with improved specs.

MikeWalt24

No don’t scrap it, just make it better. Love the touch screen but also the ability to type with an actual keyboard. Use primarily for business and edit a lot of documents with Docs to Go. I need and want a keyboard!

Barry
    Participant

I think the Dakota is a much better form factor for this use. You get the touchscreen for navigation and the Bold (the original Bold) keyboard. The keyboard on the Torch just can’t cut it for long documents or emails.

domi994
    Participant

i think torch its great so far, will have to see this one

Barry
    Participant

domi994 said:

i think torch its great so far, will have to see this one

According to reports, it’ll look the same as the original Torch just with upgraded specs. If they would have streamlined it, shrunk the too-big bezel, and made it thinner overall, I’d be more optimistic, but I just don’t think it’ll succeed in comparison to the Monaco or Bold Touch.

babisboi
    Participant

I agree with barrist, I think that the Torch should be aimed at the mid level crowd. The Monaco and Montana should be their focus and flagship devices. I think their is still a market for the slider and the flip phone, but its not the same as the maket for a slate and candy bar form factor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC