Forgot your password?

Running Android apps on Playbook / Future QNX Smartphones – Why not?

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion Running Android apps on Playbook / Future QNX Smartphones – Why not?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  JusCoolin08 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

So the big rumour of the day is the speculation that RIM may choose the Dalvik VM for legacy app support. Apparently Kevin from CB also speculated this possibility way back in August. This would mean technically Android apps could be run as it uses the same VM.

It sounds like RIM is weighing the option. My question is, why not?

My guess is they want to get the “Android Certified” stamp from Google to go forward with this. So I’m sure there’s some high level negotations that could be going on right now.

A Google/RIM partnership of sorts would be a game changer imo. As some have noted, RIM wants a piece of the consumer base that Android has been growing the last few years, and I’m sure Google may want into the enterprise market eventually that RIM is entrenched in and Apple is steadily climbing as well.

Having access to the already well-established App Market would be huge.

I’m wondering, are there any reasons why RIM shouldn’t do it if its technically possible as it seems to be?

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

DanielH
    Participant

Heard this rumor as well, certainly interesting and something to keep and eye on. Explain to me though if you will, would this mean App World would cease to exist or it is a side-by-side thing…as in Blackberry platform could run Android apps on it? Not sure I fully understand…more apps out there though, all the better.

Barry
    Participant

I’m not an expert or anything on this stuff, but the way I read it.. RIM wants to have legacy support for all the current Blackberry apps that were made for OS5/6 etc.. so in order to do that on the QNX OS, it would need to run a VM (Virtual Machine). The question is which one they’re going to use. The rumour is stating that RIM is leaning towards Dalvik, which is the one that most Android apps run on on the Android platform. So technically if that were to happen, it wouldn’t take alot to get Android apps to run on it.

The question is how they would go about it; would they actually partner with Google to “Certify” the QNX OS as Android compatible, or would they just use Dalvik and allow almost trouble-free conversion from an ANdroid app to a QNX app. Either way, it would be great for RIM and BB users.

This would be in addition to BB’s own App Platform which i dont think they would just get rid of. It would just be adding support for others. This is something I remember RYan Bydan from a video saying, that the platform can easily evolve to include other programming languages and platforms.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Terrence T
    Participant

Yea. i first heard it on reuters.

But, WHY NOT? then theres angry birds.. tehee

Barry
    Participant

Does anyone know if running them in a VM would make them less stable or responsive? I’m really not well-versed in this stuff.

Barry
    Participant

I found this article that gives a brief analysis of the challenges that could come up:

Quote:
    Still, questions remain. Dalvik’s biggest drawback is that it doesn’t execute Java bytecode directly. Java class files need to be recompiled before they run on Dalvik, which means none of the existing BlackBerry apps would run as is. That might be OK, though, because RIM has already said developers will need to “repackage” their BlackBerry code before it will run on the PlayBook.

Even if RIM does go with Dalvik, support for Android apps would be another matter. To achieve that, RIM would have to build a complete Android compatibility layer on top of the PlayBook OS, to run side by side with its BlackBerry compatibility layer. How would memory management work in that scenario? What about cut-and-paste? The engineering hurdles would be steep.

He goes on to say that the most sensible strategy may just be to avoid trying to “partner” with Google at all on this, and just go with the Dalvik VM to attract developers who currently make Android apps to easily be able to port it to the Playbook.

Should be interesting to see.

Terrence T
    Participant

but the apps aside, im more concerned about our security

Barry
    Participant

That’s true.. Android Market apps have had that reputation for being less than secure. Hopefully the Playbook and QNX will have measures in place to prevent any malware attempts.

DaSaint
    Participant

I fore one think this is bitter sweet. I like that Android is open source, but i love the BlackBerry exclusivity….. i dont know how ill handle the change.

stevendsnyder

I think if RIM can pull this off, it will position them to gain acceptance of the Playbook and future QNX smartphones. The Android market is rapidly expanding and apps for the Blackberry OS are definitely lacking compared to iOS and Android. I think this is a smart move for RIM if they can make it work and sell it as a “feature” for Blackberry users that are interested.

Barry
    Participant

Totally agree. I’m still not sure what the downside is.. they may appear to be “giving up” to its competitors, but consumers will just care that they can have Android apps on a Blackberry. Something very appealing I think.

PapaPompous

Exciting news for RIM, could help keep them in the game. I’m hoping we do have Android apps on our PlayBooks only I strongly doubt it will be official knowing RIM…

giorgosh

I wouldn’t mind having even more variety of apps to choose from ;)

Barry
    Participant

It would be quite a sight to see the actual Android Market on a Blackberry. RIM and Google would have to do some serious negotiation for that. But I think if RIM does implement the Dalvik VM, then we could see alot of Android developers creating apps for the Playbook if only because it would be dead easy to port them over without much work.

darksideandroid
    Participant

Have fun debugging byte code.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC