Forgot your password?

Rogers HSPA+ 21mbps Rollout Starting August – Using Special RIM Devices for Speed Testing

Home Forums BlackBerry News Rogers HSPA+ 21mbps Rollout Starting August – Using Special RIM Devices for Speed Testing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brian 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

rogers-hspa One of our Secret Agents in the Great White North let me in on some of the details of Rogers HSPA+ rollout plans. Rogers did put out an announcement earlier this week that they are testing out HSPA+ but since I am not that privy to Canadian carriers I passed on writing it up. Now that I understand more I can actually write something intelligible.

The interesting tidbit I learned was that Rogers is using special RIM testing devices (that will never be sold) to test out their HSPA+ networks for raw speed transmissions. That plays right into the hand that RIM is working on some HSPA enabled devices but I have also been hearing that they plan to jump directly to LTE. Who knows…

Rogers is rolling out HSPA+ which has a theoretical maximum of 21mbps. That is about 3 times faster than what is available now and so far has only been rolled out in Australia by Telstra. Actual speeds range around 7mbps from what I hear.

No handsets will be out with HSPA+ on Rogers for the next year and major city rollouts will start in August and continue through the following months and they are aiming to finish main cities by February. 4G/LTE is also scheduled to launch in Canada around the Olympics.

Looks like the annoying $6.95 System Access pure profit Fee is paying for something
    Rogers HSPA+ 21mbps Rollout Starting August – Using Special RIM Devices for Speed Testing

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

1) RIM already has HSDPA devices in the Bold and Storm.

2) Rogers is going to be the 6th carrier to have 21Mbps HSDPA+

3) There will be a HSDPA+ device in a Rocket Stick

4) No, there will be no LTE in time for the 2010 Olympics.

Fail as usual.

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

Andrew

HSDPA is not HSPA+ – You should read up on it!

Rogers is not the first or the last to have it but they are up there

Who cares if there will be a rocket stick?

LTE is aimed to start rolling out around the olympics not totally launch around canada.

Brian
    Participant

Rogers has LTE testing underway in the GTA and Vancouver Metro areas as we speak. Not that it’ll make a difference for anyone on the planet as there really aren’t handsets for it, but Rogers has a goal of having LTE up for the olympics in the Vancouver area.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC