Forgot your password?

[Review] Sony DR-BT50 Bluetooth Headphones – for the music lovers out there!

Home Forums User Reviews [Review] Sony DR-BT50 Bluetooth Headphones – for the music lovers out there!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence T 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

If you use your BB as your main music player, this review may be of some interest to you.

When I decided to ditch the iPod and go with just one device (my Torch), I started off with the Sony Ericsson MW600.

25845_B.jpg

This allowed me to connect my own set of headphones to it, which was paired with my phone. It was intended to give me control of my music player without needing to dig into my pocket for my phone.

However, as good as it sounded (surprising for a wireless audio connection), it actually added more inconvenience because it was one more device I had to carry on me all the time. Plus, while it had a mic for taking calls via bluetooth, I had to take it out of my pocket to put up to my mouth to speak, which again was an inconvenience.

So, I went out searching for a pair of bluetooth headphones, something I could just leave on my head, and answer calls with its built-in mic. No wires! Luckily, Christmas was right around the corner, so I asked for these and got ’em. There were a few choices out there, with candidates from Motorola, Nokia, and Samsung. But I chose the Sonys for their aesthetics as well as the generally positive reviews out there for it.

Now, onto the headphones:

2-26-07-dr-bt50.jpg

As you can see, they’re full size cans. They’re not 100% entirely isolating and do leak some sound, but they’re good enough for me in my experience to where while my spouse is asleep beside me and doesn’t wake her up.

The first thing I noticed was how comfortable they were. My previous full size pair was a low-end but very good sounding Equation Audio EP3070. Their one drawback was their comfort. The new Sonys are MUCH more comfortable, with soft pads and lightweight to boot for a bluetooth set. Build quality seems pretty good, the hinges may feel a bit flimsy with a plasticky feel, but I think they should hold up fine.

The button layout is easy to get used to, albeit a bit on the small side. The controls for play, back and forward are through a rocker switch. The power on button is a large round button near the middle of the cup. And it also has buttons for volume and changing folders. All in all, pretty straightforward.

Pairing was simple; you simply hold the power button for longer than 7 seconds and then set your phone to listen, and it’s as easy as pairing anything else via bluetooth.

Sound quality is very good imo. But I should qualify that by noting that there will unlikely be a bluetooth headset out there that can match the fidelity of a good wired set. The technology just isn’t there I don’t think yet. Nevertheless, they sound good, and again.. No Wires!

Call quality is also adequate, I’ve heard no complaints from the caller on the other side, and their voices come through clearly.

Overall, I’m quite pleased with the headphones. It sure beats messing with wires and needing to pull out my phone to switch songs.

Any questions, let me know!

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Terrence T
    Participant

Prefer my Jaybirds wireless in-ear phones which are sweat resistant – good for any events :P

But, isnt it kinda big (for yours) to carry around and be mobile?

Barry
    Participant

They’re actually not that bad for mobility. As I said they’re very light and can just sit around my neck when not in use.

I wish I could wear in ear plugs comfortably but they just never seem to fit right and I’ve tried many pairs.

I may look for a smaller set for working out later on but for commutes and general listening these cans I’ve been happy with so far.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Terrence T
    Participant

I was refering to the size… when packing it, wont it take up considerable space? 😡

but a nice buy nonetheless :P

Barry
    Participant

Actually it folds up pretty nicely, so it’s not too big of a spacetaker.

Terrence T
    Participant

Any picts? :D

Barry
    Participant

ottawa2011012400088.jpg

Here you go, a quick snapshot beside my back-up 9700 hah.

DanielH
    Participant

I’m actually looking at the Motorola S9 bluetooth headset now. I’m using some cheap wrap-arounds for going to the gym but I decided that I think I would like a bluetooth headset for additional range of motion…barrist, did you mention that you’ve tested them before?…someone mentioned them on here.

Barry
    Participant

Nope never tried the S9, but have usually seen it recommended alot. So I’m sure they’re worth a try.

Barry
    Participant

One thing that I forgot to add was that the battery life so far seems to be top-notch. I can’t even guess at hours since I haven’t had to recharge it once since getting it at Christmas. Of course, there have been days when I haven’t even used them, but all in all a very positive sign in this respect.

Terrence T
    Participant

cool!

actually, i’m scared of folding it like this. hehe

danbl68
    Participant

AWESOME!

toy9cito
    Participant

Terrence T said:

Prefer my Jaybirds wireless in-ear phones which are sweat resistant – good for any events :P

But, isnt it kinda big (for yours) to carry around and be mobile?

How is the Sound on the jaybirds..? i really dislike headphones that limit the noise.. i like to hear music as loud as possible for working out and if it gets a lil distorted at full volume i can always just turn it on.. in ear headphones really depends on the type of music u listen to can be pretty good at blarring high volumes

Terrence T
    Participant

toy9cito said:

How is the Sound on the jaybirds..? i really dislike headphones that limit the noise.. i like to hear music as loud as possible for working out and if it gets a lil distorted at full volume i can always just turn it on.. in ear headphones really depends on the type of music u listen to can be pretty good at blarring high volumes

Pretty good.. Now i would use my jaybirds for my workouts (considering they are sports series and resistant to sweat/rain) or use my imaingo if im in a group.

At home i will use my JH16pro, on the go, usually will be my SA6 with the wireless module.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC