Review & Contest: SmartestCover – “Feel” Your Storm Keyboard

smartestcover.jpgReview: SmartestCover
[rating: 7]

Edit: Accuracy was improved while typing. The cover did not make my typing any faster but I did noticed that I was making fewer mistakes. I had chosen to use the Landscape cover for my typing because I became accustomed to Qwerty typing from my 8820.

The keyboard on the Storm is kind of hard to type on if your used to the physical keyboards of other BlackBerrys. It took a little bit to get used to it and sometimes I still hit the wrong key while typing. With this problem in mind, SmartestCover has designed a tactile keyboard/screen protector for the Storm.

Being very simple in design, it’s essentially a screen protector that has tiny nubs (each nub is no larger than a pinhead) on it for each “key”. That way you can “feel” your way while typing. Kind of like the nubs on the “F” and “J” keys on a computer keyboard. There are 2 designs available: Landscape (Qwerty) and Portrait (SureType). I was given the opportunity to test out it and while impressed, I also noticed a few things:

Pros:

• While using the covers, you can continue regular usage of the touchscreen without any problems.
  • Total screen coverage.
  • Accuracy was improved.

Cons:

• Like any screen cover, it can be difficult to put onto your screen. You will need clean hands and have to handle the cover by the very outside tip of the corners to avoid putting your fingerprints on it.
  • The nubs trap air and it is impossible to remove the bubbles. After my testing, I received an email from the Development Team stating that they have fixed it and that the newer versions will not have this problem.

Overall, SmartestCover has a good thing going for them. Hopefully they continue to develop on this great idea. Just keep in mind that if you’re the type of person who uses both ways equally to type, this screen cover will probably not be beneficial to you.

Contest: SmartestCover has so greatfully given 15 readers the opportunity to win a set of covers! All you have to do is comment on this post. We want to know why you want these covers. What is the worst scratch you have ever gotten on your Berry? Have you ever sent an important email only to find out that you completely and embarrassingly misspelled a word? Give us your best and you shall be handsomely rewarded. The winners will receive their choice of either Landscape or Portrait covers. So get to commenting all ready!

If aren’t lucky enough to win the covers or would rather just pick them up yourself, you can get yours at smartestcover.com for the price of $13.99 + $2.95 S&H for 3 covers. You can choose either Portrait or Landscape covers. Good Luck!

16 total comments on this postSubmit your comment!