Forgot your password?

QNX Fastboot – Battery pulls a thing of the past?

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion QNX Fastboot – Battery pulls a thing of the past?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  babisboi 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

So one of the cool things I’ve read about QNX is its ability to boot up in basically seconds. Because of the way its built (microkernel), unlike the current Java based BB OS, the QNX can start up in seconds. This means instead of going to “Stand By Mode” like we’re used to, you can likely just shut down the whole device and turn it back on in seconds without having to go through the long wait associated with Battery Pulls. Also because each app would have its own user space, there would be no need to reboot the entire system after installing a program.

This video was one I found on Youtube which demonstrates how a QNX based system can be up and running applications in seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTUweJKAUfk

Very cool stuff, can’t wait for a Smartphone based on it, it’ll be great!

As the description in the video notes:

Quote:
    This video compares boot times with and without a BIOS. With a BIOS, the system takes 17 seconds to boot. With QNX fastboot technology, which eliminates the need for a BIOS, the system boots and launches an OpenGL ES application in 1 second. The software (QNX Neutrino RTOS, OpenGL ES application, etc.) is the same in both cases.

Fast boot times like these can, in some cases, eliminate the need for low-power modes. For instance, if a device is used only intermittently, the user could simply power it down when not in use — there’s no need to use a low-power mode to ensure a relatively fast wakeup. The result is longer battery life.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

DanielH
    Participant

I want 25 hours of battery life lol

Barry
    Participant

Hah that would certainly be nice. I’m really excited to see what this OS can do. Hopefully it is fairly stable at launch.

It already looks impreesive in the previews we’ve all seen.

If it provides the same or better battery life than the iPad as rim has promised ill be happy.

Having a playbook plus my future phone the Dakota I’ll be loving life

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

DanielH
    Participant

I’d be content with a day but not having to charge for an entire week is where it’s at! lol

2011 might be an awfully nice year for you, nice but expensive :)

DanielH
    Participant

Not to forget the carriers and whatever bogus pricing schemes they think up, of course…

Fubaz

There will not be any bogus pricing schemes for the PB.

RIM really needs to come to bat to help this compete the other tablets (iPad/Galaxy Tab). If they inflate their price they will hit rock bottom.

They need to come out selling the unit at cost to gain a following and to take down the dictator Steve Jobs (i know he is on sick leave)

Big Up Big Up, Its a Stick Up Stick Up

DanielH
    Participant

fubaz said:

There will not be any bogus pricing schemes for the PB.

What I was referring to are the RUMORS that some of the carriers will be changing pricing plans across the board. For example, there was a post recently that AT&T is planning to scrap the 200 txt for $5 plan and now the smallest plan will be 1000 for $10. Also, as the 4G networks come out, are carriers going to charge more or not…

My point was that, just owning a cellphone might become more expensive in the future.

Barry
    Participant

They will definitely charge more for 4G because they kknow people will pay for it. All other carriers will follow suit. The existence of a wifi playbook actually aint a bad idea

BarracudaBob
    Participant

An impressive boot time would be great. Even better would be NOT having to reboot. I am really looking forward to see how the Playbook runs. I think it will gives us a pretty good idea what to expect from their QNX based phones. So far it seems like it will finally put RIM back in competition with Android and iOS.

Barry
    Participant

BarracudaBob said:

An impressive boot time would be great. Even better would be NOT having to reboot. I am really looking forward to see how the Playbook runs. I think it will gives us a pretty good idea what to expect from their QNX based phones. So far it seems like it will finally put RIM back in competition with Android and iOS.

QNX’s infrastructure should, in principle, allow it to never require a reboot. The core kernel is separate from the app space, so if an app crashes, only the app needs to be restarted.

domi994
    Participant

barrist said:

QNX’s infrastructure should, in principle, allow it to never require a reboot. The core kernel is separate from the app space, so if an app crashes, only the app needs to be restarted.

Thats very nice to know

Terrence T
    Participant

Well hopefully.. but this long boot gives me some time to break away and relax.. :D

danawoyele
    Participant

this gonna be very cool….am guessin the booting wil take place in 10 seconds or slightly above that

twitter- @tech_pundit
    liquidaque.wordpress.com

Barry
    Participant

If they can get it under 5 seconds, there would be no need for a sleep mode as I suggested in the OP. That’d be a big battery helper i think.

danawoyele
    Participant

yeah that should……..this gonna be big competition for Apple this year

twitter- @tech_pundit
    liquidaque.wordpress.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC