Forgot your password?

PlayBook to allow tethering (3G internet) to BlackBerry smartphones

Home Forums BlackBerry News PlayBook to allow tethering (3G internet) to BlackBerry smartphones

This topic contains 59 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DanielH 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

Some more details about how the Blackberry Bridge will work..

I think some people wondered about the connection and whether you could use the BB’s 3g Connection to surf

Quote:
    The BlackBerry PlayBook, initially being sold with Wi-Fi, will allow tethering to a BlackBerry smartphone, giving users of the tablet access to the smartphone’s cellular network and all the calendar, messaging and Web-browsing features running on the smartphone, RIM officials said Thursday.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9204960/PlayBook_to_allow_tethering_to_BlackBerry_smartphones

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Barry
    Participant

I found this part intriguing too

Quote:
    Bidan said IT managers using BES would be able to control how long information is cached on a PlayBook, and that control would extend to sensitive contact information that a company wants to protect. When the PlayBook is out of range of a BlackBerry smartphone, the cache could be set to immediately deplete any data on the PlayBook or the IT shop could dictate that the data remain there for hours, days or even weeks, Bidan said.

Interesting thing about the “cache”.. i wonder if consumer users can also set it to keep the data on your playbook even if it loses connection with the bb.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

DanielH
    Participant

If not, I’m sure the tether app would have come through for us :)

Barry
    Participant

dshcpa1 said:

If not, I’m sure the tether app would have come through for us :)

much prefer a native solution,, and also not paying for it!

DanielH
    Participant

barrist said:

much prefer a native solution,, and also not paying for it!

Do you not use Tether on your blackberry? My cellphone bill is high enough with data and 4 lines on it without a monthly tethering plan. With tether, I paid $25 one-time for it and been tethering here, there, everywhere for over a year now.

DanielH
    Participant

But yes, glad to see native and free capability.

Barry
    Participant

dshcpa1 said:

Do you not use Tether on your blackberry? My cellphone bill is high enough with data and 4 lines on it without a monthly tethering plan. With tether, I paid $25 one-time for it and been tethering here, there, everywhere for over a year now.

Nope never needed it for my needs

DanielH
    Participant

barrist said:

Nope never needed it for my needs

Fair enough, I travel 30% of the time and its nice to be able to hook up my laptop without paying the hotel or some other wifi vendor. $3.99 for 1 hr, $9.99 for 3, $19.95 for the day…I’ve seen them all and those are absurd, IMO, but they know they can get people to pay it.

Barry
    Participant

yeah that’ll actually be pretty handy.. especially when the phones with wifi hotspot are released! i never thought i cared about that feature, but the more i think about it the more i think i’d use it

DanielH
    Participant

barrist said:

yeah that’ll actually be pretty handy.. especially when the phones with wifi hotspot are released! i never thought i cared about that feature, but the more i think about it the more i think i’d use it

I don’t fully understand the wifi hotspot capability. So, I have a BB that is wifi hotspot capable and I want to surf the internet with my laptop while at an airport. Correct me if I’m wrong, I could turn on the wifi hotspot, see that wifi signal when I search wifi signals on my laptop, connect to it and start surfing, rather than buying whatever wifi the airport has to offer.

Barry
    Participant

yep exactly it!

DanielH
    Participant

barrist said:

yep exactly it!

Cool, cool…that would definitely come in handy. No more paying at the hotel, airport, trying to find an internet cafe, pretty much accessible anywhere. Yes, when, when, when will we see that?

Barry
    Participant

whenever the new 6.1 devices come out i guess!

Edwin
    Participant

i hope this an option for me, i use my blackberry a lot as a tethering device and i use up too 3-4gb a month, with out a tethering plan. this would be great if i can tether my blackberry to my playbook via bluetooth like i do on my mac.

Barry
    Participant

Yeah the article focuses on the BES capabilities of tethering, but i think it should apply to regular users

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC