Forgot your password?

OS update = broken 3rd party apps

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion OS update = broken 3rd party apps

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence T 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Derek Brown
    Participant

I suppose I could be doing something wrong, but every time I update my handheld OS build, I have to configure a whole slew of add-on and third-party apps again. For instance, I updated my Tour from 5.0.0.643 to 5.0.0.1030, and ran into the following problems afterwards:

– YouMail – had to enter phone number and PIN

– GMail – had to enter username and password

– RSS Feeds – had to accept EULA and enter BlackBerry ID

– FaceBook – had to accept EULA and enter e-mail/pass

– WordPress – had to accept EULA

– Google Maps – had to accept EULA and login to Latitude

– BBSSH – all connection entries lost

There are plenty more, but I won’t list everything. What bugs me is that some applications were unaffected:

– LinkedIn – retained account info, did not need to re-accept EULA

– mobatech Mobile Checkbook – Retained all account info, no EULA

– Final Fantasy – retained saved game info

Why is it that some applications handle the upgrade just fine, while others act like I just got a new phone? Am I doing the update wrong? Is there a secret to migrating third-party databases? Am I just SOL?

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

Yeah its annoying. Most third party apps don’t backup by desktop manager and don’t store their settings on the sd card. Sucks but what can you do. Hopefully RIM will fix this with the new BlackBerry protect backups

Terrence T
    Participant

Most apps will need to re-register etc once we upgrade os etc..

tfrankson
    Participant

I also notice my Apps are not always updated to the latest version which I backup. I never did understand that concept. ;-( So I have to reconfig/get new codes and also possible get the latest ver for the specified app.

Very time consuming.

Tash

Terrence T
    Participant

Well, its perhaps a security feature or a method for especially for those whom are reloading os to pinpoint a certain app that may be causing problems?

Like once this app is configured as such then a problem occurs.

So after reloading, because the user must start reconfiguring, it allows the pinpoint?

Also, it gives you a “factory” set feel..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC