Kobo App issue on Playbook

Home Forums BlackBerry PlayBook Kobo App issue on Playbook

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kiddo2050 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

PB Forever
    Participant

Hey does anybody else on the forum have an issue with their Kobo app on their Playbook? I posted this on an unrelated thread but am hoping for some more responses.

My Kobo app on my Playbook was working fine up to a week ago and then all of the sudden it stopped working. I couldn’t open any of my books and I’d get that spinning circle thing showing it’s trying to refresh my library but nothing is happening. I then deleted and reinstall the app, hoping that would resolve it, but nope it made it even worse. Now my library won’t even show up.

Meanwhile I can access all my books via my PC… I read the app reviews that other people were having the same issue. I wonder if anybody out there got a resolution on this.

I’ve emailed Kobo on this but haven’t heard back yet.

scuebydue
    Participant

Well…from the help blogs around I have seen that most can’t use it. And Kobo hasn’t responded. Did find one person that got it to work. Their post below.

Re: Kobo

Options

7 hours ago

Hi

Kobo now works for me, after a lot of trying. I don’t know if any of these steps had any influence in making it work, but hey, if it did, it did:

1) I had tried to deinstall and reinstall Kobo before. Funnily enough, once the reinstalled application was opened, my old log in / account details were still in there. Didn’t think much of that at that time, but Kobo refused to synch up still.

2) I then did a security wipe, to fix another problem, and found that kobo was gone, so apparently the de-install hadn’t worked properly => Note: after Kobo deinstall, do a security wipe to remove it completely.(back up the lot though!)

3) I then reinstalled Kobo and tried to synch, that was still taking a very long time without results.

4) I then went into Kobo online through the internet and removed 14 of my 24 books from the library and left ten, thinking that perhaps the sheer amount was the issue.

5) Signed out and signed in again into Kobo on the PB and left it to run to and not a very long time later the books showed up and then started downloading the one by one.

Like I said, don’t know if any of these steps did anything or if it was just a fluke, but it is all working now.

Good luck!

PB Forever
    Participant

Thanks Scuby. I was worried about that. I’m a voracious reader and have been known to completely lose track of time once I start reading. I was thinking that my 50+ books might be an issue with Kobo.

While I’m fine with removing the books (about 10 of them are already finished anyhow) I think it’s crazy that we have to do that especially cosidering I have 64 GB PB that should hold all those books in memory.

I wonder if contacting Rim might help. I still haven’t heard back from Kobo.

Here is the other weird thing, I can access all my books via my BB but not with my PB….

So perhaps contacting Rim should be my next move.

I also thought about doing a security wipe on my PB but it’s going to take some time since need to back up everything first.

Anyhow, thanks for posting a solution Scuby. I’ll let you know if I have any success with Rim next.

sfreibur

The Kobo app is now working Aok on the Blackberry Playbook.

I was using it last night.

Enjoy!

PB Forever
    Participant

Did security wipe still hanging on the syncing… next off to Rim tech support to see if I can get help there.

scuebydue
    Participant

I dont use it, but installed it just now and works. Downloaded a few free books. Then deleted it. lol but it worked

PB Forever
    Participant

Removed 10 books from the library, down to 42 or so, but still having problems loading up…. grrr… will need to contact Rim, haven’t heard back from Kobo yet.

The problem may be that you can’t have more then say 5 books at a time in your playbook, but there should be a way to proportion more memory to keep the books in your PB.

scuebydue
    Participant

Or don’t read. Wait for the movie! ;) lol

PB Forever
    Participant

Scuby… LMAO… :D hahaha… um… hmmm, novel idea (excuse the pun)!! I’d probably save a ton of money too.

Although a friend suggested that I actually do it the “old school” way and get the real book! :D

DanielH
    Participant

I can’t put my finger on why but I just have had zero interest in Kobo, same with the music store, 7 Digital or whatever it is…waiting for an Amazon Kindle app. Oh wait, Amazon already promised that.

PB Forever
    Participant

http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/solution-kobo-issues-670231/

Well above is the link on how to resolve the issue. I’m still downloading my books back, very slow process so haven’t tried opening them to see if it works, but what a pain in the butt. From the PB forum on the BB website it appears that it’s a software issue that Kobo is aware off and I guess they’re still trying to fix… no sh!t sherlock!

PB Forever
    Participant

Yeess!!! At last, I can read my books… sheesh.

scuebydue
    Participant

PB Forever said:

Yeess!!! At last, I can read my books… sheesh.

Again….wait for the movie :)

kiddo2050
    Participant

Glad I didn’t have this problem (knock on wood).

PB Forever
    Participant

@ Kiddo, I think it happens if you have too many books downloaded and you’re actually actively reading 4 or 5 at the same time and you book mark your pages and somehow when syncing it confuses the app… don’t have all the specifics but it’s what I read on the CB forum…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2014’ BerryReview LLC