Forgot your password?

Hybrid OSes – Real Deal or Placebo?

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion Hybrid OSes – Real Deal or Placebo?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

So, I noticed this morning there was another OS leak (6.0.0.431 for the 9650). My first reaction was excitement thinking about the potential for some of the Hybrid builders to incorporate it into a future version that could be used on my Torch. The Torch has been seemingly frozen at OS 337 for a very long time, even with rumblings of .400+ versions out there in the wild somewhere.

Anyway, currently I’m using the BDHP 4.0 build from CB’s forums. It works quite fine, and using Shrink-a-OS, I was able to trim the OS down even further.

But did the Hybrid actually improve anything from the Base OS? I’m honestly not sure. I may be just a light user (my phone isn’t packed with apps) so even with the Base 337, it ran very smoothly. BDHP enlists the help of a team of beta testers before release, but even then, you see people finding seemingly obvious bugs when it’s released. Now to be fair, BDHP is released and able to be installed on ANY OS6 phone, which is an impressive feat, so there are bound to be some bugs on some phones that may not have been tested as thoroughly.

I admit, I don’t really know how hybrids are built, why one version of a module is chosen over another, or if it’s simply a matter of trying to insert the highest numeric version of a module without the whole thing crashing. That being said, I think many of us are psychologically attracted to getting the highest version updates for our devices, so we are drawn to these hybrids when our Base OSes have not been updated for a while.

I’m always a bit skeptical when I see these released and a few minutes later, someone who JUST installed it is able to give a seemingly conclusive review. (ie. “Runs MUCH faster, everything is smoother!”)Well one of the reasons that could be the initial reaction, is that it came right after a device wipe so it’s bound to feel faster and smoother at the beginning.

Anyway, just a thought. I’m sure some will disagree, and I know the hybrid builders do work hard to put out a good release.

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Terrence T
    Participant

I suppose some are placebos.

My knowledge with hybrids is limited to only knowing the take components the publisher thinks is the best from each OS and amalgamate together

jrorion5

Having run several (5+ hybrids) and most os releases on my 8530, I can say that most are real. HOWEVER, the benefits are typically small and would not be very noticeable to most. They are best for folks that like to test and tweak. I do find better battery life and faster response times with the ones I have liked. Others, had no impact or were worse. Definitely, use at your own risk!

Barry
    Participant

Lol, turns out the .431 that was released for the 9650 was actually a Hybrid itself!

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

chestr
    Participant

I really like the faster boot times. It was golden on my 9000

Barry
    Participant

chestr said:

I really like the faster boot times. It was golden on my 9000

True, I did find some great boot times with the Hybrids, but my feeling is that they were because many files were shrunken out so the phone didn’t have to load as much. I deleted alot of the CODS from the recent .450 leak for the Torch, and it loads super fast as well.

Fubaz

I find hybrids were stellar back in the day, now.. not so much.

TBH its more of a user mentality and the ability to try and fix OS issues with files from another OS.

I have ran some in the past, and only install them now if i see a flaw or vulnerability on the Leak/Official that the hybrid claims to fix.

Big Up Big Up, Its a Stick Up Stick Up

Barry
    Participant

I’m kind of tempted to try BDHP 6.0 if only for the 6.1 files in it. Not sure if they improve anything much though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC