Forgot your password?

Google Voice Lets Your Forward AND Reply to SMS via Email!

Home Forums BlackBerry News Google Voice Lets Your Forward AND Reply to SMS via Email!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ronen Halevy 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

forwardsmsemail This little tidbit of news made my week! Google Voice now lets you forward and reply to SMS through email. That means if somebody text messages your Google Voice number then you can choose to have it forwarded to your email address. You can then reply to that email and it will respond with a text message.

This is just one step closer to being able to disable this price gouging $4.99/month text messaging plan I have on AT&T.

Just fire up your Google Voice account if you have one at http://www.google.com/voice and select the Settings tab and then the Voicemail & SMS tab.

via TechCrunch

Google Voice Lets Your Forward AND Reply to SMS via Email!

Nikolaus Walch
    Participant

So wait, if I reply to that e-mail, Google will take that e-mail and turn it into an SMS to the person who originally SMSed me? That is not spelled out in what is written in the article, so I hope that is how it works. I wouldn’t mind a copy/paste in the BB app so I can copy out SMS to fwd to someone else on BBM.

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

Make sure to test it because I just did.

When I only replied to the email it sent the text along with everything else in the email.

When I cleared the prior contents on had only my reply sent, it added the “Sent from a Blackberry” signature that I have.

So either way, you’re going to have either less than 160 characters per text to send or you’ll be replying with more than 1 email.

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

I tested it out and it worked flawlessly. But then I was using a GMail account so Google has probably got the “filtering out the original message” down pat in GMail but maybe has problems with mail coming from a BB. I would definitely submit this to them as an issue.

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

Yeah. Really the SMS feature through Voice works that way too. The actual SMS comes to your phone from some random number but when you reply to it, it manages to find its way back to the original sender and into the thread on Voice.

The BB app is missing a lot in the way of standard features. No AutoText support is killing me!

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

And I can’t even test it out because so far, GV will only let you forward it to the account you have GV signed up with and I don’t feel like adding that to my BB Inbox.

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

@shvartz…

I ran into that same problem. Easy fix. Just associate the second email address with your google account and you will be able to set it up to forward. Takes a second

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

I was originally quite excited to see that the email came from something…@txt.voice.google.com I thought that might mean we can actually send to SMS via email direct which is a feature I am waiting for. There are some SMS services that aren’t TRUE SMS in that they try to send an email and that is currently not possible with GV. Anyway, I tried sending to @txt.voice.google.com and it did NOT work. Oh well.

ShvartzBerry
    Participant

That works for Emailing of Voicemail Notifications. But does not seem to work for SMS forwarding.

AdamG
    Participant

In your Gmail/GV account, set up a Filter that does this…

Do this: Forward to [email protected]

On the account I’m not forwarding, meaning, I have my GV/Gmail address setup on BIS, I’m able to reply to SMS from the GMail Inbox on desktop, but reply from BB Inbox is giving me a delivery notification failure.

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

That’s great.. nice service they started now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC