FAQ: MicroSD Card Corruption Requires Disk Error-Checking Utility

This has happened to me a few times on my BlackBerry and I am glad RIM has finally addressed the issue with a recent knowledge base article. Ever gotten this error after unplugging your BlackBerry from your computer?

A Media Card has been inserted that contains errors. To correct the errors please use a disk error-checking utility on a computer.

My first reaction when I got this error was “CRAP what about all my pictures!” Then I realized it is a simple as plugging your BlackBerry into your PC and running CheckDisk to fix the errors. Some of you may not have realized that so I thought I would share.

1. Plug your BlackBerry into a Windows computer and turn on mass storage mode if it is not already turned on
  2. Open My Computer.
  3. Right-click the appropriate Removable Disk.
  4. Click Tools, and then click Check Now.
  5. Select Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

Things should work just fine after that! At least it worked the last two times I got this error. Not sure if there is a way to do this on a Mac but let me know! I personally think it sucks that RIM cannot just include the disk checking utility on your BlackBerry since your only option from the device is to format it completely and lose your data…

21 total comments on this postSubmit your comment!