Forgot your password?

Exposé: A Program that Placed ads (!) in all of my Menus: ADware!

Home Forums BlackBerry Applications Exposé: A Program that Placed ads (!) in all of my Menus: ADware!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  yybenedb 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

yybenedb
    Participant

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this:

Recently, I discovered that my menus started displaying new items each time I reset my device. I mean every one of my menus had "Download Games" smack in the middle of my menu list. (If I clicked on it a browser would open up and try to sell me games). After a reset it switched to "Blackberry News", a battery pull and "Download Ebooks" showed up in the middle of every menu of every program from my native Browser to third party programs.

I tried restricting permissions and/or deleting every new application I have installed lately. I did this systematically and patiently. (It took a while since I recently started using OS5 and had been experimenting all sorts of applications to replace ones that would only work on 4.6)

At last I discovered the culprit! I had installed a legitimate program distributed by S4BB. With it had installed automatically something called BerryQuery which seemed useless but harmless. I thought to leave it until I could figure out iif there is any benefit to it…… Now I discovered that it was the program placing the ads in my menu. Upon deleting it they are gone.

Are you as unimpressed with the chutzpah of this developer as I am?

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

Was this from a S4BB app? They are notorious for doing that!

yybenedb
    Participant

Yes! You guessed it. I had pasted the original post from somewhere else where the second to last ¶ had been deleted. I have reinserted it now.

So, if people know about this, why were there no postings on the subject until now!?

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

We mention it whenever S4BB releases a free app…

yybenedb
    Participant
    Quote:
    We mention it whenever S4BB releases a free app…

Before playing detective I searched and could not find any postings a bout it. I hope this discussion here and elsewhere will make it easy for people to find in the future…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC