Forgot your password?

Does BESx support wireless OS upgrades

Home Forums Questions and Answers Does BESx support wireless OS upgrades

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Luis Merlos 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Derek Brown
    Participant

I haven't been able to find this anywhere, so maybe someone can set me straight. In BES 4.X and 5.X you could deploy OS upgrades to connected handhelds through BlackBerry Manager and the Administration Service. Is this supported in BES Express, and if so, where do I find the options?

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Luis Merlos

Not really sure but I would think it doesn't unless the Carrier releases because your not talking about OTA activation right?

Derek Brown
    Participant

I figured this one out. There is a document (http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7269/BB_Device_Software_Upgdate_Guide.pdf) that goes over this in great detail, starting at page 20.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Luis Merlos

ah makes for some really long reading :)

yandar
    Participant

Id say no. This is based on the fact that you cannot perform an ota activation with BESx

Derek Brown
    Participant

Yandar, that is not entirely true. You can do OTA activations on BESx if you have a BES data plan. If you have a BIS data plan, you're stuck with a wired activation. I have done 6 BESx installations, with ~5 wireless and ~15 wired activations. If you have access to the BlackBerry Expert Support Center, there is an Enterprise Activation Readiness Tool that can tell you if a handheld can do OTA or not, provided you have the PIN and IMEI/MEID.

The document i linked to above has instructions for BES 5.0 to do OTA OS upgrades (starting at page 20), and all the options exist in BESx. I just haven't actually tried it yet, but I believe it should work (why else would the options be in the console?)

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

DavidB
    Participant

" (why else would the options be in the console?) "

Cuz RIM does some silly stuff sometimes???

So have you been able to try it yet? A couple Tour OS builds have leaked and I think you have a Tour right so you could try it?

DavidB
    Verizon Bold 9930 work
    Verizon Droid Bionic play

Derek Brown
    Participant

I was under the impression you could only do a wireless OS upgrade for OS's that were released by your carrier. I typically install the latest leaked Tour OS as soon as I find one (I installed one just yesterday actually). With the wireless OS upgrade, how would you go about manipulating/removing the vendor.xml file to allow leaked versions?

I have a number of customers running BESx, so I may try to find a guinea pig soon. If I do, I'll post back with my results.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Luis Merlos

I think Derek is right because if you have a leaked OS it won't let you do the wireless update even if the OS is a higher version. Not 100% sure but I think am fairly close to it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC