Forgot your password?

BPS on SBS 2008

Home Forums Questions and Answers BPS on SBS 2008

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Derek Brown 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Derek Brown
    Participant

I have a few customers interested in a BES, but none of them have more than 10 users, so BPS is probably more appropriate. These customers are all using SBS 2008 in a single server environment. As there are no other servers to use, do you guys know if BlackBerry Professional Software is supported on Small Business Server 2008? I see in the BPS documentation that SBS 2003 is supported, as is Server 2003 x64, but nothing about 2008, 2008 x64, or SBS 2008 (which is also 64-bit).

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

Just heard back from one of our Gurus:

Quote:
    Its not supported on any 2008 platform and nothing later than sql 2005 db. There will probably be no support for 2008 as it is now.

Derek Brown
    Participant

Well that's certainly not what I wanted to hear :-p. Does this guru know if it will work? Not being supported is one thing, but not allowing you to install it or it just flat-out not working are completely different.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Ronen Halevy
    Keymaster

He said he will answer with more detail tomorrow :)

Gareth
    Participant

Hi Derek, the setup exe will explicitly fail with an error, as has occurred with my own customers who go it on their own against our advisement. Regardless you will not get support from RIM as it is not a supported platform. The next thing you will also run into as being a current problem is the supported versions of MAPI/CDO components. You don't make mention of Mail system but I presume atleast Exchange 2007. BPS although is supported for Exchange 2007, it still has limited mapi/cdo support at this time with versions upto .7xxx only. Although this may still work with the earlier releases of Exchange, there may recon issues with later SP release of Exchange. I make this statement loosely as each environment is different. Some sites it works and some it may be problematic.

Sorry this may not be the info you are looking for but with the current state of BPS, RIM have over the past year or so put all efforts and development into BES 5. Where they may go with BPS moving forward is still a very grey area.

Derek Brown
    Participant

As much as that stinks, I suppose I can't shoot the messenger. As for the version of Exchange, Small Business Server 2008 only has one option: Exchange 2007.

RIM has really left the SMB market behind. SBS 2008 has been out for more than a year now, and is what most of our customers are using, considering that our company focuses on the SMB market. The fact that BPS remains at version 4.1.4 (the last BPS release was 9-17-2008!) is bad enough, but after talking to multiple RIM representatives, they all told me this isn't likely to change.

On a side note, until the end of February, RIM is offering a free trade-up key ($2800 retail) for BPS users who buy the Advantage level support for 1 year (which is $1499). Essentially you can buy BES 5.0 for $1499 (single user) instead of the $2999 retail cost, and you get 1 year of Advantage level support. I suppose it is better than nothing…

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Gareth
    Participant

That is a good offering from them but please dont look into installing BES 5 on the same Windows SMB server. It is a hungry for resources with the Admin service alone running anywhere from 300mb-500mb this has been noted for sites I work with that are less than 20 Users.

I would highly recommend investing in a second server for your customers that are looking at a BlackBerry Solution. BES 5 core components upto SP1 on a 64bit SMB System is not supported.

I would also highly recommend reviewing the Matrix for Exchange if you have not yet done so, this will help with your direction and planning: Compatibility Matrix

It would be great to help out in person with this but unfortunately I reside on the other side of the Globe. However take advatage of that RIM Support offering.

Another option you can look at is Hosted exchange and BES environment, consolidating some of those smaller customers.

Derek Brown
    Participant

This is just aggravating. I called RIM yet again, and got conflicting answers to my questions. One rep told me that although BEs 5.0 is technically not supported on SBS 2008, it will install, and they have other customer running it. He went on to say that although the documentation states it is unsupported, they have in the past, and will continue to support it, although they do recommend against it. In order to take advantage of the promotion, BPS must be installed in the environment already, which isn't really an option for the SBS 2008 box. So I was told to setup a temporary BPS machine, upgrade it to BES 5.0 via the promotion, then do a knife-edge cutover to the SBS box. In theory, this sounded like a good solution. Then it occurred to me that the knife-edge cutover involves installing BES 5.0 on the SBS and migrating the users from BPS. If I have a way to install BES 5.0 on the SBS without all the hooplah of a temporary BPS box, why would I bother with any of that?

I called again for further clarification, only to be told that it violates the EULA to have BES on the same box as Exchange (I cannot find this in writing for the life of me), and that it flat out will not install on SBS 2008. I was told to install a VM on the SBS machine (which would in turn violate the M$ EULA) to run BES. Upon a third call, I was told BES on SBS 2008 was supported and will work fine.

As for the compatibility matrix, it shows BES 4.1.7 and below to be supported on SBS 2003, which the 2nd RIM rep claimed was not true. He tried to convince me that the matrix does not show what you can install BES on, just what it will play nice with if in the same AD environment. This makes no sense to me, but I can't find anything saying the matrix is what you can install it on and not just what it will play nice with in the same domain.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC