Forgot your password?

BlackBerry Manager on Windows 7

Home Forums Questions and Answers BlackBerry Manager on Windows 7

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Luis Merlos 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Derek Brown
    Participant

Does anyone know how to get BlackBerry Manager to install on Windows 7? I have a customer that was on BES 4.1.6 MR2 and they just upgraded a helpdesk machine to Win7 only to find the BlackBerry Manager will not install. While I was looking into the issue, I figured it was as good a time as any to upgrade to 4.1.7, but that does nothing for the Win7 workstation. They are not in a position to upgrade to BES 5.0 right now, so they are stuck with the BlackBerry Manager, and although not supported, I wondered if anyone out there knew how to make it play nice on Win7.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Luis Merlos

I have them both install with BES outlook integration on windows 7, I downloaded the version 5.0 service pack one from the Blackberry site just last night and installed on laptop with windows 7 pre installed on it and didn't have any problems.

Derek Brown
    Participant

But I don't have BES 5.0, I have 4.1.X. BES 5.0 uses a web interface for administration, so it is OS independent.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Username

???

So you're running a BES off of Windows 7 based PC and NOT running the BES off of a Windows Server?

Derek Brown
    Participant

No, of course not. I had BES 4.1.4 running on Server 2003. I could not get the BlackBerry Manager to install on Windows 7, although it was working fine on XP. I upgraded the BES server to 4.1.7 (although there was nothing in the release notes, I had hoped it would let me install the BlackBerry Manager on Windows 7), but when i try to run that setup file, it tells me I have nothing to upgrade. It wants me to run setup from 4.1.4, then run the setup from 4.1.7 to upgrade my BlackBerry Manager, which I cannot get to install. I know it is not supported to run BlackBerry Manager on Windows 7, I was just trying to find a hack to make it work.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Luis Merlos

Sorry I wasn't clear I meant Desktop manager 5.0 service pack 1 is what I downloaded not the BES 5.0 and it installed just fine on both a laptop and PC running windows 7 on both. Would it be maybe some setting or restriction on the windows 7 restricting it, or is it giving you a corrupt error when trying to install Desktop manager. If you can download Screenhunter 5.1 is free and take a screen shot of the error and post a link here to it so i can look at the error maybe that would help a little bit.

Tom
    Participant

I, too, am running the latest Desktop Manager 5.0.1.28 (11 November 2009), aka 5.0 Service Pack 1, on a Windows 7 system. My guess is that earlier versions may not be compatible with Windows 7. I suggest that you uninstall completely any previous version of the DM, and you attempt to download/install the latest directly from the RIM Support site:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/#tab_tab_desktop

Username

Making somewhat sense now.

From the wording, it appeared that you were trying to put BlackBerry Manager (IE: BES) on the computer.

You should just be able to download the newest version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager (Link above) and install it on a Windows 7 based PC. I have Win7 running on Parallels on my Mac and it works just fine.

Derek Brown
    Participant

For clarification, I was trying to get BlackBerry Manager to install on Windows 7, not Desktop Manager. We have a BES running on a server, and wanted to manage it from a Windows 7 workstation. As the BES is not 5.0, and Windows 7 will not run BlackBerry Manager 4.1.X, my solution was to install XP Mode and install BlackBerry Manager on the XP virtual machine.

If you are curious as to the details, you can find them here: http://v1corp.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/blackberry-manager-on-windows-7/

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Luis Merlos

Oh ok, misread thatyeah I heard from a buddy that BlackBerry manager does not work on windows 7.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC