Forgot your password?

Blackberry 9700 OS 6 Leak v.424 Review

Home Forums General BlackBerry Discussion Blackberry 9700 OS 6 Leak v.424 Review

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence T 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

leftajarruss

Hi everyone just another little update for the latest Blackberry Bold 9700 leak.

Click HERE to view the review, hopefully it will guide your decision to upgrade or not.

grmonkey
    Participant

Since I first heard of BB6 I’ve been very excited. New browser, new UI, new look, new options and much more. Then the first leak for the 9700 happened! I was extremely excited and I installed it. Was on it for a month, then I changed back to a version of OS 5. Though I loved BB6, I was satisfied as I was with OS 5. It seems to me like BB6 should be a Touch Screen OS. Since it does work better on the Torch. The new theme layout doesn’t leave room for wallpaper unless you hide your icons. I love how the 9700 is getting a lot of love with the BB6 leaks, don’t get me wrong. I love the new OS but I don’t think it works well on a phone such as a 9700, RIM should keep it on the Torch line and improve it there. If the memory leak wasn’t there, if the battery life was better, if the support for some apps I have was there, and if my 9700 screen was touch screen then maybe I would re-install in on my 9700. Even if there was an official update I wouldn’t keep it on my phone for more the a month again.

BBM > Apple's millions.
    😀

DanielH
    Participant

Great reviews leftajarruss (“s” I read the other OS6 reviews on your website) and comment grmonkey. I’m still on OS5 but its definitely tempting to move to OS6. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the concern that I’ll lose some of my apps because they are not compatible with OS6 yet, but I could be wrong. What were your experiences with 3rd party apps, were there any that you weren’t able to use on OS6?

parked

grmonkey said:

Since I first heard of BB6 I’ve been very excited. New browser, new UI, new look, new options and much more. Then the first leak for the 9700 happened! I was extremely excited and I installed it. Was on it for a month, then I changed back to a version of OS 5. Though I loved BB6, I was satisfied as I was with OS 5. It seems to me like BB6 should be a Touch Screen OS. Since it does work better on the Torch. The new theme layout doesn’t leave room for wallpaper unless you hide your icons. I love how the 9700 is getting a lot of love with the BB6 leaks, don’t get me wrong. I love the new OS but I don’t think it works well on a phone such as a 9700, RIM should keep it on the Torch line and improve it there. If the memory leak wasn’t there, if the battery life was better, if the support for some apps I have was there, and if my 9700 screen was touch screen then maybe I would re-install in on my 9700. Even if there was an official update I wouldn’t keep it on my phone for more the a month again.

Agreed. I had BB6 on my Bold 9650 for a total of 1 week before I downgraded to OS5. It was a combination of a lot of things. I didn’t want to leave behind all my OS5 themes, paid, free, and contest-won. The webkit browser on BB6 is slick as is the window tabbing, but I don’t use the browser as much and the sites that I do access have a great mobile layout on OS5. I did not like the default BB6 theme and wasn’t used to the design/function of menus (Favorites, most used, Downloads,etc.). BB6 is great, but I’m happy with OS5 for now.

dshcpa1: I had no problems with my 3rd-party apps (at least with the ones I use often: Poynt, BeReader, Bloomberg Mobile, ScoreMobile, Dictionary.com, Pageonce, BePopUp, BuddyGuard).

DanielH
    Participant

parked said:

dshcpa1: I had no problems with my 3rd-party apps (at least with the ones I use often: Poynt, BeReader, Bloomberg Mobile, ScoreMobile, Dictionary.com, Pageonce, BePopUp, BuddyGuard).

Thanks, that’s good to know. Although, I feel the same as you two. Very pleased with my OS5 on my 9700…haven’t upgraded yet so in the mean time, I bought a OS6 theme, MiniPB by RJ Design 2010. It’s great, OS5 with OS6 looks:)

parked

dshcpa1 said:

Thanks, that’s good to know. Although, I feel the same as you two. Very pleased with my OS5 on my 9700…haven’t upgraded yet so in the mean time, I bought a OS6 theme, MiniPB by RJ Design 2010. It’s great, OS5 with OS6 looks:)

Oooh, that’s a nice one! Good choice. Haha, it’s funny, isn’t it? We like BB6 themes, but we don’t actually like using the real BB6 (yet).

DanielH
    Participant

My mistake, that theme is actually considered a Playbook-like theme and not an OS6 theme…brings something to mind though, I don’t think it made much news but prior to the arrival of the Torch, there were several OS6-like themes floating around, the most popular being one designed by WJD Designs. However, it wasn’t before long that RIM legal team forced WJD to discontinue the theme and kill it. OS6 is now here, there are plenty of OS6 themes around, no big deal, pretty much forgotten. What makes me wonder however is, why wouldn’t RIM be doing the same with the Playbook themes. Playbook isn’t out, there are some very close rendition themes out there. Why not block those?

beamolite
    Participant

Memory leaks seem to have improved and battery life. I think we are getting very close to an official release.

grmonkey
    Participant

dshcpa1 said:

Great reviews leftajarruss (“s” I read the other OS6 reviews on your website) and comment grmonkey. I’m still on OS5 but its definitely tempting to move to OS6. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the concern that I’ll lose some of my apps because they are not compatible with OS6 yet, but I could be wrong. What were your experiences with 3rd party apps, were there any that you weren’t able to use on OS6?

im not a big app downloader so i dont know have many apps are affected when switching to bb6

the turning point for me was not being able to use my bbnotepad which allows me to save my notes on my sd card and not my berrys memory. when on bb6 i would go into the bbnotepad app and i would press the menu on my berry and it wouldn’t work so i couldn’t get to the notes already saved on my sd card. also beejive was affected it would freeze and i would need to pull the battery but an update from beejive fixed that. so yea i need my notes. i could use the bb memo pad but im not a fan. also then scrolling on bb6 got on my nerves. to much scrolling smh . so for now i am happy with my 9700 running OS 5 bcus it just works!

BBM > Apple's millions.
    😀

DanielH
    Participant

My guess is that by the time AT&T comes out with an official OS6 for the 9700, my contract will be about due to expire and if that is the case, AT&T is supposed to be getting the 9780, I’ll upgrade to that instead. The 9780 is a 9700 just prebuilt for OS6 :)

Fubaz

beamolite said:

Memory leaks seem to have improved and battery life. I think we are getting very close to an official release.

I agree, 424 seems to be the most stable, 418 was really nice but the browser still needs work.

also Viigo has started working with new OS6 releases.

I hope they keep going in the same positive direction they are going.

Big Up Big Up, Its a Stick Up Stick Up

Fubaz

dshcpa1 said:

My guess is that by the time AT&T comes out with an official OS6 for the 9700, my contract will be about due to expire and if that is the case, AT&T is supposed to be getting the 9780, I’ll upgrade to that instead. The 9780 is a 9700 just prebuilt for OS6 :)

I wouldnt see how its a prebuilt for 0s6, all it has is some more ram, and im running 80mb File free right now with 5 email addresses, 12 apps and everything i need.

I wouldnt waste your upgrade on a 9780… wait till the summer when we can hope to see maybe a qnx BB.

Big Up Big Up, Its a Stick Up Stick Up

DanielH
    Participant

My bad, prebuilt meaning preinstalled. The 9780 will come with OS6 already installed with the increased memory and faster processor (IIRC?).

True, I’m still 6 or 7 months away so if we get any rumors of a QNX BB coming, end of 2011 or some time in 2012, believe me, I will have no problem keeping my 9700 and holding out instead. I did the same for the 9700. I was on an 8310 and rather than upgrading to 9000 and then being stuck with it for a year and a half or so, waited and got the 9700 the first week it came out.

DaSaint
    Participant

Everyone shows love to the 9700…. but what about the 9550? i have the storm 2 for 9 months now, and i am using the BB6 theme not the actual os, and it is most excellent on the large display, im not a forum fanatic, i don’t or wont know if theres a official release of OS 6…. can anyone tell me if there is?

Barry
    Participant

DaSaint said:

Everyone shows love to the 9700…. but what about the 9550? i have the storm 2 for 9 months now, and i am using the BB6 theme not the actual os, and it is most excellent on the large display, im not a forum fanatic, i don’t or wont know if theres a official release of OS 6…. can anyone tell me if there is?

The storm wont have OS6 unfortunately. I think there were hardware limitations

Man this is crazy. You are dancing with the entire McPoyle Family. These people are freak shows, man...freaks. But you're keeping your cool. You're keeping your cool. You know why? Because you are the Green Man. Green Man is saving your life right now, bro. Just go with the flow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC