Forgot your password?

BIS on SBS 2008 keeps failing, IIS restart required

Home Forums Questions and Answers BIS on SBS 2008 keeps failing, IIS restart required

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Derek Brown 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Derek Brown
    Participant

I have a fairly new Small Business Server 2008 Standard server (Exchange 2007 SP1 Update Rollup 7) that is not playing nice with BIS. I can get BIS accounts working, but they fail within hours. If I try to re-validate the accounts, it fails to connect to OWA, and the only fix I've found is to restart IIS on the SBS machine, at which point the re-validation works fine.

Thoughts?

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Derek Brown
    Participant

Just to clarify, when I say restart IIS, I mean from a command line running 'iisreset /noforce' or from the IIS7 Manager, clicking the Server, then clicking Restart on the right-hand side. I tried recycling the individual application pools, as well as restarting individual web sites and this did not help.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Luis Merlos

will see if one of the other Gurus that are familiar with this can help you out.

Derek Brown
    Participant

I changed the BIS accounts to use POP3. It is definitely an Exchange 2007 problem, as I can run test-webservicesconnectivity and it will fail. I restart IIS, and it works again for a random amount of time (when the BIS users get disconnected, my test also fails).

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Remzi Turer
    Participant

Have you checked the Event Logs? Does OWA work from outside your network via web browser fine?

Derek Brown
    Participant

OWA works all day long. I haven't found anything of interest in the event or IIS logs. This is a fresh install of SBS 2008, and I've got a half dozen other sites i have set up identically. I'm sure I am overlooking something simple, but haven't put my finger back on it yet…When I run Test-WebServicesConnectivity, this is what I see:

[System.Net.WebException]: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

That test does a series of tests, with GetFolder being the first (which causes the failure). Upon an iisreset /noforce, everything is fine…for a while.

I found a few articles mentioning the loopback check that was introduced a few years ago, but that has already been disabled. As BIS is working via POP3, and OWA/Outlook Anywhere is working, there really are no noticable problems, so I'm not really that concerned with it anymore.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Charger71
    Participant

I'm having the same issue, After restarting World Wide Web Publishing Service it starts working again and the phones will re-validate.

SBS Server 2008 64bit – Exchange 2007 and 3 Storms

This problem is getting really frustrating, I get no errors in any of the logs, and it seems the Blackberry's are the only things that stop working.

chads
    Participant

I am also having this problem for the last couple weeks, but I have found an additional issue, after the BB get bumped off RWW quits working, you can login and open owa but you can't remote desktop. I am just installing some service packs today and seeing if it gets resolved.

Derek Brown
    Participant

Very interesting…these users don't use RWW to my knowledge, so that had not been reported. I just logged in and confirmed that the test-webservicesconnectivity command was failing, so I tried RWW, and it too does not, either! I restarted the WWW service, and RWW started working again.

Have either of you (chads or Charger71) tried running 'test-webservicesconnectivity' from the Exchange Management Shell? When I notice the above symptoms, I get a 401 error on that test. After restarting IIS (or the WWW service), the test works, as does BIS and RWW.

The fact that RWW is breaking is a problem for me. I wrote up some dumbed down documentation on how to access work PCs from home for these users, and although they have not needed to use it yet, I want to make sure it works if they try. I will keep investigating this on my end, and post back if I find anything useful.

Sorry to the BerryReview team for hijacking the forums for an Exchange issue…

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Derek Brown
    Participant

I ran the SBS 2008 BPA, and it identified 18 warnings. The one that concerned me was 'No MaxConcurrentRequestsPerCPU'. That led me to the following Technet blog:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/02/10/slow-connectivity-for-outlook-anywhere-and-sites-that-use-the-sbs-web-applications-app-pool.aspx

When trying to check the Worker Processes, I got an error (Category does not exist). That led me to another article:

http://blogs.iis.net/robert_mcmurray/archive/2008/10/01/category-does-not-exist-error-when-viewing-iis-worker-processes-in-iis-manager.aspx

Upon trying the command 'lodctr /q:PerfProc', I saw that my processor performance counters were disabled. I then ran 'lodctr /e:PerfProc' to enable the counters, then Worker Processes was working again, but I saw nothing out of the ordinary there. I went ahead and created the DWORD value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftASP.NET2.0.50727.0 MaxConcurrentRequestsPerCPU (decimal value of 5000) and restarted IIS.

This seems to have fixed the problem, as I applied that fix last night, and everything is still working fine. *fingers crossed*

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Derek Brown
    Participant

I ran the SBS 2008 Best Practices Analyzer and it found a number of issues (mostly minor). I addressed the ones specific to the network card settings (anything that mentioned 'netsh int ip' in the description), and it has been nearly 12 hours without BIS/RWW breaking :).

Commands I ran:

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh int tcp set global autotuning=disabled

netsh int tcp set global congestion=none

Hopefully this corrects the problem. These users are bound to notice RWW isn't working soon.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Derek Brown
    Participant

Well, that didn't do it, either :/

I'm installing Exchange 2007 Update Rollup 9 for SP1 right now to see if this corrects the issue (from Update Rollup 7), will post back if the problem persists.

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Derek Brown
    Participant

Well, whatever the problem was in Exchange 2007 SP1 Update Rollup 7, it is resolved in Update Rollup 9. It bothers me that I don't know what the problem was, but it's no longer a problem, so if you run into the above symptoms, I'd recommend Update Rollup 9 :).

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Derek Brown
    Participant

maria_david202,

If you are having the same problem I was, restarting the WWW service (or issuing a iisreset /noforce command) will make the Remote Desktop work for a while. If that is the case, I would recommend Exchange 2007 SP1 Update Rollup 9, as it solved my problems :).

Derek Brown
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Vision One IT Consulting

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2016’ BerryReview LLC