BES Express and FaceBook (cannot connect to contacts/calendar)

Home Forums Questions and Answers BES Express and FaceBook (cannot connect to contacts/calendar)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  beckman3 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Derek Brown
    Participant

Last night I uninstalled BPS (BESX refuses to install if it finds BPS or BES), wiped my handheld (because of the differing IT Policy, this appears to be a required step if you are already on a BES/BPS), installed BES Express, and activated my handheld. Everything looks fine, but the only new feature (well, new to BPS users) I have tried thus far is HTML email, which works great.

I am new to BES 5.0, so the web administration and web desktop manager are new to me, but they seem pretty straightforward. What I am having trouble with is where I make the IT Policy changes needed for FaceBook contact/calendar integration (Disable Organizer Data Access for Social Networking Applications). Anyone know if this is possible in BES Express? Im guessing this falls under Scenario 3 or 4 here: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB18427

I tried looking at the XML file that is used to add this to BES 4.1.X and manually creating an IT policy with a name of Disable organizer data access for social networking applications, Type of Boolean, and Destination of Handheld, but after setting the value to No, resending the IT Policy, and uninstalling/reinstalling FaceBook, these options are still grayed out for me.

Any of you BES(X) gurus know how to let this enhanced functionality of the FaceBook application work on BES Express?

techtiger

Social Networking is not supported in BES Expres mate,

Very few IT policies restricts this functionality.

Derek Brown
    Participant

The KB article I linked above is now broken. What irks me is that FaceBook 1.5 with or without BES worked fine, but 1.6 and 1.7 will have the contact/calendar options grayed out if you are on a BES without this IT Policy (or if the policy is set to Yes). This policy could be manually imported into BPS, but I tried that with BES Express and got an error about the database version not being supported. I also tried manually adding the IT Policy Rule, but that didn't work either.

As this worked with BPS, I don't understand why it stopped working in BES Express. Social Networking is not an enterprise feature, and if BES Express cannot play nice with FaceBook integration, I can see this becoming a bigger issue. BEs Express was just released Monday, so I'm guessing very few people planning on migrating to BES Express have realized it breaks FaceBook.

Also, it clearly states FaceBook is supported in the Comparison Chart here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/express/ComparisonChart_NA_021610_v3.pdf

techtiger

well yeh, facebook can be access from the Browser and can be downloaded but Facebook configuration from BES Express is not supported.

Gareth
    Participant

Enterprise Messaging and Enterprise Social Networking is not supported. All others are.

Derek, I will check around and advise.

Gareth
    Participant

As a preliminary before trying to log this, I have been through the steps has been required in the past and have experienced the same. I ran the Policy addition via the Webconsole's Manage IT Policy. Resent SB's and IT Policy with no success on device Facebook client.

I have found some key Polices that I believe should be included and have already started addressing with the relevant persons. I will include this and hopefully they will inlude in a future MR or SP.

Gareth
    Participant

Hi Derek, Have you tried to explicitly specify No for the following option: Disable organizer data access for social networking applications

If this is not available for you are the apply the previous XML file by the required fashion, please action this file (ITPolicyTemplateValueAdd.zip): http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15181 It now allows me to specify both options for alendar and contact integration.

Once actioned, the IT Policy will be submitted for delivery automatically. Please allow this to be applied in its own time, default is 15 Minutes but this can be changed via the "Device | Deployment Jobs | Specify job schedule settings.

I was logged out of facebook at the and needed to login and Edit the options.

Derek Brown
    Participant

On BPS, I had to apply the XML as the KB instructs, which worked fine. On BES Express, when I run the import, I get the following error:

C:Research In MotionATTValueAddedApplications-PolicyPack>loadbesmetadata -i itpolicytemplate04242008.xml

Reading input file 'itpolicytemplate04242008.xml'. Please wait…

Parsing ITPolicy XML document for Default language data.

ERROR: Database version unavailable or unsupported by this tool. Aborting.

I tried importing this through the web console before, but was doing so under 'Manage IT Policies', which required a file to import and a file encryption password. I just revisited this, and realized I needed to go to 'Manage IT Policy Rules' instead, and this allowed me to import the XML file from the KB article. Once I did, I was able to edit the policy rules, and now FaceBook works like it used to :)

beckman3
    Participant

Derek,

I'm having the same issue, glad you figured it out! Just curious as to which KB article has the XML file to download to import into Manage IT Policy Rules?

Thanks,

Luke

beckman3
    Participant

Derek,

Glad you found a fix as i was trying to figured this out as well. Do you know which KB article has the XML file to download to import into Manage IT Policy Rules?

Thanks,

Luke

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2014’ BerryReview LLC