AT&T Bold Gets Network (2G/3G) Selection Back in Latest OS

networkselection Jason let me know that the latest Bold OS we told you about, 4.6.0.282 from CSL Hong Kong, gives us back a feature AT&T users have been missing. It lets you toggle the connection between 2G only or 2G/3G. This was available to all when the Bold first launched but was locked for some asinine reason on AT&T Bolds further down the OS line.

Users used to de-brand their phone or set this setting using the Engineering Screen but now you can easily get to it with this upgrade. I am glad RIM finally came to their senses.

As Bla1ze points on on CrackBerry this setting is very important for those who want to save battery life on 2G only. Or if you are in a location with weak 3G you could stop your device from hunting down the weak 3G signal and killing your battery or constantly cutting out.

As a reminder you can find the OS link here

3 total comments on this postSubmit your comment!
  1. I have a house in the city and a farm in the country. The country house only has EDGE. I tried this setting this weekend, and it let EDGE stay locked on. That helps. Ordinarily, it connects like this: GSM->edge->EDGE.

After making this change, it just stayed on EDGE, and that made it faster, not wasting time, trying the other protocols, only to fail. I think it is much better.

One thing to remember, though, is when you get back to the city, don’t forget to switch back to 3G+2G!

2. This works like a charm. I travel extensively and this is the answer to what I needed and it went without a hitch. ATT customers get this os upgrade and you will be happy talkers!

3. Which version of DM did you use? I cant seem to get it on my Bold

BlackBerry© is a registered Trademark of BlackBerry Limited. BerryReview is in no way affiliated with BlackBerry Limited though sometimes their lawyers send us love letters...

Copyright © 2007-‘2024’ BerryReview LLC