BlackBerry has started the roll out of the Marshmallow (Android M) update for the BlackBerry Priv. Starting today, selected BlackBerry Priv’s will receive the update whilst the rest will receive it on May 3. The Android M update bring a suite of improvements to the core of the BlackBerry Priv OS, and I am sure many of you have been patiently waiting for this!
The Android 6.0.1 update will be available starting April 26 to BlackBerry models purchased directly from ShopBlackBerry. Those models include:
- STV100-1 in the U.S. and Canada
- STV100-4 in the UK, France
The update will roll out to STV100-2 and STV100-3 models (that are sold through carrier channels) beginning May 3.
Through this update, BlackBerry has added improvements to security, to the Hub, to the keyboard, as well as to the camera. Key improvements include:
- Upgraded Hub
- Not only does it now support S/MIME email signing and encryption, there is also integration for Instagram, Slack, Skype and Pinterest integration, along with the existing hooks for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Improved word prediction and over 200 new emoji’s.
- Addition of two new video modes — 24fps capture at 4K, 1080p and 720p; and 120fps slow motion.
- Improved battery life
- With addition of Doze and App Standby in Android M, BlackBerry Priv’s battery life is extended even further. Furthermore, performance has been given a boost so its even smoother and faster now.