So we had some details leak out on the eBBM Suite and now it seems like we have the rest of the document courtesy of BBin. We now have confirmation that eBBM protected chats will be limited to BlackBerry 10 and legacy BlackBerry devices and will not work on Android and iOS for now. They also detail the requirements in from devices for it to work. Check out the details below:
What is eBBM Suite?
The eBBM Suite is a new line of BBM products and services designed to work with BlackBerry devices managed by organizations. Products in the eBBM Suite focus on improving productivity through communications and collaboration while addressing organizations’ need for security, management, and control.
Using BBM Protected
The BBM Protected feature combines the speed, reliability, and privacy of BBM with enhanced security for organizations. With BBM Protected, you can use BBM as your single messaging app to chat with people inside and outside of your organization without losing access to other BBM features.
Administrators can enable BBM Protected in the following environments:
- BlackBerry OS 6.0 or later
- BlackBerry devices associated with BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 or later
- BlackBerry Messenger 8.5 or later
BlackBerry 10 OS
- BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2.0 or later
- BlackBerry devices with activation type work space only
- BBM 10.3.32 or later
BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10
The following are the system requirements to deploy BBM Protected in a BES10 environment:
- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 version 10.2.2 or later
- BlackBerry 10 devices with activation type Work space only – Regulated
- Gold – BlackBerry licenses, or SIM licenses activated for BlackBerry 10 advanced
- BBM version 10.3.30 or later installed on BlackBerry 10 devices
- The Use BBM Protected rule set to Yes, the rule added to an IT policy, and the policy assigned to BlackBerry 10 device users who require BBM Protected
BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5
The following are required when deploying BBM Protected in a BES5 environment:
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 or later with updated IT policy pack
- BlackBerry Device Software 6.0 or later
- BBM version 8.5 or later installed on BlackBerry devices
- The Use BBM Protected rule set to Yes, the rule added to an IT policy and, the policy assigned to BlackBerry device users who require BBM Protected
Start a BBM Protected chat
When you start a chat, if some of the contacts that you select don’t have BBM Protected, BBM Protected is not used and the default BBM encryption is used instead.
The first time that you start a BBM chat with a BBM Protected contact, you are prompted to share a passphrase. You can share the passphrase in an email, a text message, or in person. The contact must enter the passphrase to join your chat. Then, the messages that you type appear as blue text.
After the contact enters the passphrase, you don’t need to share another passphrase to chat with the contact. You might need to share a new passphrase if you or the contact deletes the BlackBerry device data, switches devices, or updates the device software.
- Tap a contact.
- If prompted to share a passphrase, tap Next. Select how you want to share the passphrase and tap Send.
- Do any of the following:
- To view the passphrase you shared, scroll up in the chat history.
- To share a new passphrase with the contact, tap Resend Passphrase. Enter a different passphrase.
- To invite other BBM Protected contacts to the chat, tap . (The icon identifies BBM Protected contacts.)
Create a BBM Protected group
To join a BBM Protected group, contacts must have BBM Protected enabled on their BlackBerry devices and they must enter the passphrase. You can view and share the passphrase, but you can’t change the passphrase after you specify it.
The icon identifies BBM Protected groups.
- Type a group name. Note: You can’t rename the group later.
- Add a group display picture.
- Turn on the BBM Protected Group switch. Note: You can’t change this option later.
- Specify the passphrase.
- Tap Save.
After you invite people to join the group, you must share the passphrase. To share the passphrase, tap. Tap Copy.