A buddy of mine told me yesterday to try out the latest VLC Player for Android v0.1.4 and I am happy to report that it works beautifully on my Z30 with OS 10.2.1! Best of all the VLC player supports hardware accelerated decoding (turn it on in the settings) along with AC3 audio which BlackBerry annoyingly took out in new OS builds. The only annoying part is that it is hard to find the official legit APK’s for VLC for Android. Thankfully 1Mobile comes to the rescue here!
To get VLC for Android on OS 10.2.1 simply follow these steps:
- Download and install 1Mobile App Store
- Open the app and search for VLC and download the first option (should be v0.1.4)
- Open VLC once it is installed
- Click the menu button in the top right corner (three dots)
- Click preferences
- Scroll down to Hardware Accelerated Decoding and turn it on
That is it! Let me know what you think!