Bellshare let us know that they released BeMaps today which is a nice execution of the Google Maps API natively on BlackBerry 10. It gives you access to maps from the popular Google Maps API along with GPS location though sadly no navigation. It can follow you though on the map which is nice to see. My favorite part is that you can show the layers on the map like satellite, public transportation (yeah!), traffic, and bike lanes. They have also given us access to POI information along with search and category breakdowns. In short this is the closest you are going to get to Google Maps without sideloading the Android app or Google releasing an official app.
- Lock the map to your GPS position to automatically follow you
- ‘My location’ indicator with compass heading indicator will always show you where you are
- Search for addresses, places and locations worldwide using the powerful Google Maps based search
- Shortcuts for searching for restaurants, coffee, bars, grocery stores, hotels, gast stations, post offices, pharmacies, malls and ATMs nearby
- Show additional layers on map like satellite, public transit, traffic and bike lanes
- Tap on hold to drop a pin anywhere on the map to learn more and use it as a starting point for street view and directions
- Tap a point of interest (POI) icon to learn more about the place or business
- Detailed information about thousands of places wordwide, including descriptions, phone numbers, website and reviews from other Google users
- Get car, public transit, walking or bike directions between any two locations
- Get stunning, 360-degree Street View panoramas to help you find your way in many locations of the world
- Zoom in and out of the map with the zoom buttons, pinch-to-zoom or a one finger gesture (tap, tap-and-hold, then slide up/down)
- Optional full screen mode gives you more screen real estate on QWERTY devices
BeMaps is now available for $3.99 on BlackBerry World. The app is native and available for the Z10, Q10, and Q5 at launch. Hopefully a free trial comes soon!