We have been getting this question a few times recently and I thought I would address it. I personally use both BBM and WhatsApp and they are both great for different purposes. They are very similar systems but there are some key differences that have users confused. The check marks, delivery marks, and read marks ARE NOT THE SAME!
In WhatsApp the check marks mean:
- One Check – message successfully delivered to the server.
- Two Checks – message successfully delivered to the phone of your chat partner.
- THERE IS NO confirmation when your chat partner reads your message (confirmed in their documentation)
This is compared to BBM where: you have four different icons:
- Three signal sheilds – Sending message
- Check mark – Message has been sent to server
- Check mark with letter D – Message has been delivered to chat partner
- Check mark with letter R – Message has been read by chat partner
Its as simple as that. Once again both are useful services though WhatsApp costs a nominal fee a year. Still its an interesting difference. I am wondering if WhatsApp will ever add notification of items being read.