In some ways BlackBerry 10 launched with functionality missing on other platforms at launch. On the other hand there are many things that BlackBerry needs to improve or add to BlackBerry 10 for it to better compete with iOS & Android or even legacy BlackBerry devices. I wanted to start the discussion with my top 10 list of things BlackBerry can improve in BlackBerry 10 to make it a more compelling product:
- Give Back Control of Notifications – The limited yet convoluted notification system on BlackBerry 10 is a mess. BlackBerry tried to simplify the complex yet powerful notification options on BlackBerry 7 and they failed miserably. We need the basics like differentiating between BBM and BBM Groups notifications along with the more powerful options in BlackBerry 7. Simply admit defeat and rework it. If you need any help just ask any long time BlackBerry user.
- Add more gestures – I love what BlackBerry has done so far with gestures but I want more. For example, the hub is just dying for side to side flick gestures to delete or mark an email as read. Putting two fingers on the screen should select the emails in between them. Let us turn them on and off as we wish.
- Background Apps – I know this is coming in BlackBerry 10.2 but it deserves to make the list just because of how important it is.
- Improve the camera options – Many improvements are coming in BlackBerry 10.2 like panorama but once again BlackBerry needs to keep up with the competition and their third party service like Instagram. Just keep pushing the envelope.
- FIX the Contacts app – This app is simply a blight on BlackBerry 10 especially as part of the core OS. Users are plagued from everything from missing/duplicate contacts to annoying contact renaming. Figure out the issue and push it out already.
- Improve the usability and user experience of the Hub – I love the BlackBerry 10 hub. It brings most of what I loved in BlackBerry 7 and improves on it in some ways. On the other hand I am just blown away by some of the design decisions. For example, why is there no way to swipe between messages in a conversation? Even Q10 with keyboard shortcuts it performs an annoying animation between messages. Just hire a User Experience expert…
- Add SWYPE like keyboard gestures on BlackBerry Z10 – I love the big screen on the BlackBerry Z10 and the keyboard is pretty good with flick typing but there is a simple way for BlackBerry to attract more Android users. They need to add the swipe keyboard that SWYPE brought to android and SwiftKey has now also embraced. BlackBerry already licenses the SwiftKey prediction engine so
- Fix the embarrassment that is BlackBerry World – BlackBerry World is holding back the potential of BlackBerry 10. More details here.
- Roll out OS updates globally and update 1st party apps regularly – BlackBerry is letting companies like Verizon screw BlackBerry 10 users many carriers are not much better. I already laid down the case for why BlackBerry 10 updates should be global or at least offered as public betas. The same goes for all the BlackBerry 10 apps made by BlackBerry. StoryMaker, alarm clock, browser, etc should not wait for the next OS update to get new features or bug fixes.
- Bring on the apps – This one is self explanatory but is key on the list of top 10 needs. BlackBerry does not need a larger quantity of apps but rather they need more QUALITY apps. BlackBerry needs to be targeting the household names like Mint, Pandora, banks, etc. Same goes for games though they are doing much better on that front. Maybe even open up OTA app downloads for BlackBerry 10 AND Android APK files.
There could be more on this list like bringing back BlackBerry bridge for PlayBook users or bringing BBM Chat and Video to the desktop but 10 is a good start. What do you think are the top 10 things BlackBerry can improve in BlackBerry 10 to grow their user base and make users happy? Don’t hesitate to put anything on your wish list!