I have had a bunch of people ask me this question since BlackBerry announced the release of the BlackBerry OS 10.1.0.1485 developer beta. BlackBerry clearly stated that the BlackBerry Dev Alpha B & C had the update available immediately but they actually also uploaded the autoloaders for all 4 models of the BlackBerry Z10. You just need to first find out what model BlackBerry Z10 you have. You can find this under Settings->About on your Z10.
NOTE: We take no responsibility for anything that happens to you if you follow the instructions below. Proceed at your own risk. This is a BETA OS which is only meant for testing and is not the full BlackBerry Z10 OS so expect issues. You can always revert back to the original OS later.
How to update your BlackBerry Z10 to the BlackBerry 10.1 developer Beta:
- Head to this page
- In the black box where it says “Dev Alpha Autoloader…” you will see a link on the bottom of the black box saying “Different Device”. Click that link
- In the drop down select the model number of your Z10 that we identified before under Settings->About
- Click the big blue button to download.
- Backup your BlackBerry Z10 to your computer using BlackBerry Link. If you do not do this you will lose all of your data due to how the developer beta autoloader works
- Turn off your BlackBerry Z10
- Run the autoloader file you downloaded
- When it says “Connecting to Bootrom” connect your BlackBerry Z10 to your computer and turn it on
- Wait for it to do its thing and install and you are done!
To recover back to the current BlackBerry Z10 production OS follow the instructions here. Let us know how it goes!