One of the things that disappointed me about BlackBerry 10 was the extremely limited selection of preloaded ringtones and alarm tones. The lack of ringtones did not hurt as bad as only having three default alarm tones. First I thought I would port over the ringtones I had on BlackBerry 7 but that is for another post. 🙂 Instead I decided to go hunting for some good sources of free ringtones and alarm sounds. These are just the ones I found but feel free to suggest more in the comments.
SoundBible – Lots of Free Alarm Tones
- I really enjoyed SoundBible because they are no nonsense and do not shove ads in your face. They also only have public domain or CC licensed tones so its all above board and legal. They have a nice selection of Alarm tones but sadly the ringtone selection is pitiful. I personally think BlackBerry should take the better public domain ones and preload them on BlackBerry 10.
Brinked – Lots of popular ringtones
- Brinked lets you listen to many popular ringtones from their website but to download them you must register. I registered no problem without a Facebook account but they do get a bit shady after that. They have a big “Send to Phone” button that tries to get you to pay to send the ringtones directly to your phone. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY you just click on the small links for downloading MP3, WAV, or M4R versions of the ringtones.
PhoneZoo – Create your own ringtones and find other users ringtones
- There is more of a social element on PhoneZoo but the website is a bit 1990s looking. Still there are some great tones here.
TuneUsIn – Upload Edit and Share your ringtones
- TuneUsIn is all about the community uploading and creating their own ringtones and then sharing them. The website is a bit cluttered but you can find some gems.
Ringer.org – make your own ringtones from any song or audio file
- Ringer does not offer ringtones for you to download but they make it very easy to select a portion of a song you upload and convert it into a ringtone.
Let us know if you spotted any other good source for ringtones and alarm tones! I am still on the hunt for a mellow alarm sound that will wake me up but not jerk me out of bed.