I was very glad to see RIM continue its BlackBerry Bridge solution with BlackBerry 10 but they have made a few tweaks that users will notice. First of all the BlackBerry 10 Bridge has a limited subset of features of the previous version. Now that the PlayBook already has its own email/contacts/calendar client and it getting upgraded to BlackBerry 10 shortly there have been some changes.
The Bridge on BlackBerry 10 gives the PlayBook the ability to:
- Access files on both the BlackBerry 10 device and SD card
- Access the internet through your BlackBerry 10 device over bridge when the PlayBook does not have a Wi-Fi connection available
- Access your corporate intranet if you have your device on BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10
The Bridge also allows the BlackBerry 10 smartphone to:
- Act as a remote control mouse and keyboard for the PlayBook including gestures
- Have an easy next and previous presenters remote
In short you can now use your BlackBerry 10 smartphone as a wireless remote for a BlackBerry PlayBook media center or presentation. I can definitely see some awesome use cases for this.
This is the message you now see if you go into the bridge folder once you bridge your PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 device.