Some developers were asking me if RIM would be having one of their popular Port-A-Thons for Android Runtime apps on BlackBerry 10. It looks like RIM has heard your call and decided to hold an Android exclusive Port-A-Thon for BlackBerry 10. The event will start at noon ET on January 11, 2013 and run for 36 hours. Here are the details:
The more you port and build the greater your rewards*:
- Port one or more approved apps –and get $100 per eligible app to a maximum of 20 paid applications per Vendor
- Additionally; submit five (5) or more apps and be eligible for a random draw for one (1) of one hundred (100) BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Devices. Receive one (1) additional entry for every eligible app that you submit over 5.
Porting Android apps to BlackBerry 10
Since more apps mean more rewards, you should take advantage of the tips below and get ready before you join the event.
Here’s what you need to get prepared ahead of time.
- Register as a Vendor at BlackBerry World if you haven’t already.
- Request signature keys. Make sure that you select for BlackBerry® PlayBook™ OS and BlackBerry 10 and higher. Downloading in advance is strongly recommended as the time involved to do so could prevent you from earning rewards.
- Load up your laptop BlackBerry tools and plug-ins. Make sure you have your full source code file readily available too.
- Make sure you have your images and icons ready to go.
You can find more help including guides and documentation in RIM’s announcement of the Android Port-A-Thon for BlackBerry 10 or on the Port-A-Thon registration page.