The Q3 Earnings Report is in and here are the details. This was one of the most important earnings calls in my opinion as it will be the last before the official start of the Blackberry 10 era. Investors , consumers and fans should really be watching two things. How much cash RIM has in the bank and how many active users they have.
As noted in various other publications, analysts expect the RIM to
- Report a loss of $0.35 per share for the third quarter
- Revenue for the third quarter is expected to come in at $2.65 billion.
RIM posted the results and they
- Reported a loss of $0.22 per share which beat the analysts predictions
- Revenue of 2.7 billion which slightly beat estimates
- Subscriber base has dropped to 79 million
- RIM increased their cash reserves to $2.9 billion
So what does this really mean. The way I see it. They still managed to add cash to the bank to the tune of $600 million and now have $2.9 billion in the bank!! This is very good news. Subscriber base is down to 79 million which is a drop but not that much of a drop. So all this essentially means is that RIM is going into the BB10 launch with lots of cash in the bank and lots of active users to upgrade to BB10
The press release also states that, as will come as no surprise, marketing expenditures in the next quarter will be significantly higher than previous quarters.
The investors call starts in 30 min at 5 pm est