An 11 year old UK boy, Kian McCreath, claims that his brand new BlackBerry Curve 9320 exploded while he was in bed this past weekend. He was sent to the hospital with burns on his legs and feet after the plastic stuck to him. The family is now demanding that the BlackBerry Curve 9320 be recalled in time for Christmas since they just bought the phone for the child as a gift the week before. According to TodayOnline "The bed was charred and the phone itself was just a blackened shell. It could have easily been much worse if he hadn’t have woken up."
Adam @CrackBerry received the following statement from RIM:
RIM takes claims of this nature very seriously and a senior member of our team met with the family today to initiate a full investigation into this matter. In order to proceed with this investigation, we require the products that were involved in this incident to be made available for a full technical review.
At this point in time, the family has not provided RIM with the battery or charger for analysis and have said they are unable to locate the device itself. We have a team on standby to conduct this investigation as a priority as soon as the family makes these products available to us.
RIM is committed to ensuring our products are safe and we invest significantly in R&D and testing to ensure we meet or exceed all regulatory standards here in the UK and around the world.
As far as I know most RIM batteries are made by Sanyo and Sony so it will be interesting to see what comes of this investigation. I think it is a bit iffy that the family is now “unable to locate the device itself” after they took shots with it for the media (images credit to the Telegraph). We will let you know how this develops and we wish the boy a speedy recovery!