I have had a few developers ask me what this new name for BlackBerry App World will mean for them. In case you missed it RIM announced at BBJam Asia that they are rebranding BlackBerry App World to simply BlackBerry World. This is intended to highlight that there will be more content than just apps. Still there are some practical implications for developers stemming from the simple (new BlackBerry World badges?) to the complicated (New URL for BlackBerry World?).
RIM thankfully provided some preliminary insight into what the change will mean to developers in a blog post. This includes:
- We’ll be releasing updated marketing graphics for developers to use on their websites and other marketing materials
- We’ll be rolling out the name change to all store fronts starting mid-January 2013
- BlackBerry PlayBook tablet customers will see the updated store name in a future build, but video and music content will still be only available via the separate Music Store and Video Store applications on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.
- Customers on BlackBerry OS smartphones (OS 5, 6, 7 and 7.1) will also see the updated name and continue to benefit from new titles as they are developed for the BlackBerry OS platform, however the video and music content will not be available.
- The BlackBerry App World web store will become the BlackBerry World web store before the launch event on January 30, 2013
- Deep link URLs are not changing – the same appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/[appid] URLs that you use today will continue to work
I bolded the two items I think are most important. Let us know if you have any other questions you want us to ask RIM!